HELP NEEDED !

From: Etienne Duguay (edugua..irtualspaceintl.net)
Date: Wed Sep 24 2003 - 18:11:23 EDT

    Hi all,

    I'm sold on the benefits of using Eclipse and WOLips BUT I can't figure
    out how to make it work !?
    Here is a copy of the documentation on building WO applications _/with
    my comments/questions (in italics):/_

    The application could NOT import properly and I had to fix it manually
    and it compile without complains (anymore) in Java.

      Building WebObjects Applications

    WOLips is built on WOProject. That means the WebObjects frameworks and
    applications are built using Ant scripts. These scripts may be executed
    internally (to Eclipse) or as an External Tool. WOLips also contains an
    IncrementalBuilder <#incrementalbuilder> and a TargetBuilder
    <#targetbuilder>. These were originally developed outside the
    WOProject/WOLips project, but are now integral parts.

    /When using the WOLips view I don't see the build.xml and
    build.properties files ? I do see them in the regular navigator view :
    /

    /here is the content of ant.frameworks.wo.wosystemroot
    <cid:part1.07080400.0104030..irtualspaceintl.net>
    Library/Frameworks/JavaWebObjects.framework
    Library/Frameworks/JavaFoundation.framework
    Library/Frameworks/JavaXML.framework
    Library/Frameworks/JavaWOExtensions.framework
    Library/Frameworks/JavaEOAccess.framework
    Library/Frameworks/JavaEOControl.framework
    Library/Frameworks/JDBCEOAdaptor.framework
    Library/Frameworks/JavaEOProject.framework
    Library/Frameworks/JavaEOGeneration.framework
    Library/Frameworks/JavaEODistribution.framework
    Library/Frameworks/JNDIEOAdaptor.framework
    Library/Frameworks/JavaEOInterface.framework
    Library/Frameworks/JavaJDBCAdaptor.framework
    Library/Frameworks/JavaOpenTM.framework
    Library/Frameworks/JavaJNDIAdaptor.framework
    Library/Frameworks/JavaDTWGeneration.framework
    Library/Frameworks/DirectToWeb.framework
    Library/Frameworks/JavaDirectToWeb.framework
    Library/Frameworks/JavaOpenEJBActivation.framework
    Library/Frameworks/JavaWOJSPServlet.framework
    Library/Frameworks/JavaOpenEJB.framework
    Library/Frameworks/JavaBeansIntegration.framework
    Library/Frameworks/JavaOpenORB.framework
    Library/Frameworks/JavaWOSMIL.framework
    Library/Frameworks/DirectToJavaClient.framework
    Library/Frameworks/JavaPlot.framework/

    To execute the Ant build script:

       1. Open the Ant view (It is part of the WOLips perspective, and can
          be added to any other perspective.)
       2. Make sure the script you want to execute is listed in the view -
          do Add Build Files.

    /What script ? I guess it's an ant script right ? any example available
    for a WO application ?/

       1. Run the appropriate script/target - double-click the target.

    or

       1. Select the project's build script (do this in the Navigator view).

    /Not available in wolips view ?/

       1. Right-click on the script and select Run Ant (Make sure you only
          select one target).

    To execute the Ant build script as an external tool:

       1. Select the project's build script (do this in the Navigator view).
       2. Run > External Tools > Run As > Ant Build

    In the preferences <../reference/preferences.html#plugin_wolips_build>
    you can configure WOLips to run the when JavaBuilder is invoked.

    Ant scripts are highly configurable <building.html>...

    /When I build in the regular Navigator view (as outlined above) , only
    the class path is wrong at runtime (for external jar), but when I try to
    run it with via the run as WOApplication I get:
    /
    /Transient naming service activated.
    [2003-09-24 17:29:27 EDT] <main> The Transaction Manager configuration
    file TransactionManagerConfiguration.xml is missing in your project.
    Exiting.
    What is this ?
    /--
    Now I'm really confused about how to use this Eclipse/IDE setup, seems
    to have many interelated stuff
    (eclipse/ant/wolips/woproject/java/webobjects etc.) and to figure it out
    seems a long task.
    When I do create a simple HelloWorld application with it it seem to run
    ok though ?

    Any one as a better explanation on how to setup the initial build scripts ?

    Regards,

    Etienne R. Duguay
    Author of/ Auteur de "Se lancer en affaires dans Internet"
    ISBN 2-89521-001-2; ISBN 2-89472-062-9
    Virtual Space International INC.,
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it" Alan Kay
    "They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
           -Benjamin Franklin
    " most propaganda is not designed to fool the critical thinker
     but only to give moral cowards an excuse not to think at all."
           - Michael Rivero
    " Anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever in a
    finite world is either a madman or an economist."
           - Kenneth Boulding