Re: newbie needs help building w/WOLips

From: Harald Niesche (haral..heco.de)
Date: Thu Sep 25 2003 - 03:16:34 EDT

    Etienne Duguay wrote:

    > The application could NOT import properly and I had to fix it manually
    > and it compile without complains (anymore) in Java.

    What did you have to fix? What errors were reported during import?

    > /When using the WOLips view I don't see the build.xml and
    > build.properties files ? I do see them in the regular navigator view :
    > 1. Open the Ant view (It is part of the WOLips perspective, and can
    > be added to any other perspective.)
    > 2. Make sure the script you want to execute is listed in the view -
    > do Add Build Files.
    >
    > /What script ? I guess it's an ant script right ? any example available
    > for a WO application ?/

    The script referred to is the build.xml you mentioned above. It should
    be the one created by WOLips. If it's empty, try to create a dummy
    WOLips project, use the build.xml created for that project (renaming
    things properly, you know Ant?) If you look at the mailing list archive
    you will find an Ant script that was posted in the last few weeks that
    is more elaborate than the default WOLips build.xml.

    > /Not available in wolips view ?/

    I am unsure about that.

    > /When I build in the regular Navigator view (as outlined above) , only
    > the class path is wrong at runtime (for external jar), but when I try to
    > run it with via the run as WOApplication I get:
    > /
    > /Transient naming service activated.
    > [2003-09-24 17:29:27 EDT] <main> The Transaction Manager configuration
    > file TransactionManagerConfiguration.xml is missing in your project.
    > Exiting.
    > What is this ?
    > /--
    > Now I'm really confused about how to use this Eclipse/IDE setup, seems
    > to have many interelated stuff
    > (eclipse/ant/wolips/woproject/java/webobjects etc.) and to figure it out
    > seems a long task.
    > When I do create a simple HelloWorld application with it it seem to run
    > ok though ?
    >
    > Any one as a better explanation on how to setup the initial build scripts ?

    Try to use the incremental builder (it's configured in the project's
    properties). If that works better, compare the build products of the Ant
    script and the incremental builder (with recent WOLips versions Ant
    builds are put into dist/ and incremental builds are in build/.

    > Etienne R. Duguay
    > Author of/ Auteur de "Se lancer en affaires dans Internet"
    > ISBN 2-89521-001-2; ISBN 2-89472-062-9
    > Virtual Space International INC.,
    Well in that case:
    "Spell, punctuate, and capitalize correctly. Don't confuse "its" with
    "it's", "loose" with "lose", or "discrete" with "discreet". Don't TYPE
    IN ALL CAPS, this is read as shouting and considered rude. (All-smalls
    is only slightly less annoying, as it's difficult to read. Alan Cox can
    get away with it, but you can't.)"

    [ http://catb.org/%7Eesr/faqs/smart-questions.html ]