Re: Ask list before filing a bug report?

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Thu Sep 25 2003 - 12:04:37 EDT

    On Thursday, September 25, 2003, at 11:45 AM, Kaj Hejer wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > Should I email this list first when I see something that I think might
    > be a bug and ask if this really is a bug before I file a bugreport or
    > just I drop the email to this list and just file a bugreport?
    >

    > -Kaj :)

    Hi Kaj,

    My experience (mostly from Cayenne) is that it depends on how you are
    feeling about a particular issue. If something is clearly broken (an
    exception in the log or smth.), bug report is the best bet. This will
    reduce the noise on the list, etc. But there are always things that are
    not clear case...like "did I specify the right fileset in the
    build.xml?", etc...), something that requires further discussion. This
    is when a post the the list is most appropriate. Bug trackers are not
    good for a many-to-many discussion.

    So in short - it is up to you :-)

    On a side note, SourceForge trackers are so primitive. I just can't
    stand them :-( ... To address that I will be deploying a very decent
    commercial issue tracker on ObjectStyle.org soon :

       http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/

    They have a free license for OpenSource projects. Very nice policy!

    Andrus