WOProject and Windows

From: John Hall (jhal..lum.wpi.edu)
Date: Sat Nov 01 2003 - 20:16:16 EST

    The company I work for is considering using WebObjects for a project.
    (Or, more specifically, they are looking to buy a software tool that is
    written in WebObjects.) Naturally, since our shop is new to Java
    (having only recently made the switch from Visual Basic and ASP to Java
    and JSP), there are a lot of managers nervous about it. They asked me
    to look into WebObjects. I think it's an exciting platform, and from
    the little I've learned about WOProject, it looks to be a fantastic
    complement to it. The Windows IDE for WebObjects seems to be a couple
    of versions behind the Mac IDE, so I can eaily see myself using WOLips
    instead of the WebObjects Windows IDE.

    But that's beside the point.

    My manager was recently told that Apple will discontinue support for the
    Windows version of the WebObjects development platform and instead
    "support Open Source." (If this is merely FUD, please correct me.)
    Since the only platform restriction on WOLips is the use of WOBuilder
    and EOModeler, if Apple were to discontinue development on the Windows
    versions of these tools, how would that impact WOProject? Would we
    still be able to build WebObjects applications with WOProject?