Evaluating WebObjects - seeking opinions

From: Alice Oaks (aliceoak..otmail.com)
Date: Sun Nov 02 2003 - 12:26:56 EST

    Hello,

    I'm evaluating technology choices for a database-backed web project. None
    of us has ever worked in Java before, so I'm slowly making my way through
    the alphabet soup, trying to understand all the pieces we will need and what
    they do. Yes, we're a bit nuts, but that's ok. I prefer to think of it as
    brave. :)

    I have tentatively narrowed our choices to WebObjects or
    Eclipse/Tapestry/Cayenne. I have read about both, but not to a level of
    detail that I would call informed yet. For example, I'm pretty sure that
    the WO API is more extensive, but I haven't actually compared to see if that
    is true.

    Since there is a huge amount of material to digest here, I'm starting to
    talk to people about this now, even though I don't quite know what I'm doing
    yet, because if there are compelling reasons to go one way or the other I
    can save myself a lot of time. I'm asking on this list (one of about 10
    I've been reading lately) because it seems like there is a good mix of
    people here who use both tools. If this is not an appropriate topic, then
    please just send me to the right place (politely, I hope :).

    My criteria are pretty simple: I'm looking for something that is relatively
    straightforward to use, is well thought of in Java circles, and has a
    future. I don't expect the tools we choose to make learning Java or J2EE
    any easier, but since we have a lot to learn I don't want the tools to make
    it harder, either. I'm also looking for something that's going to be
    acceptable to the average IT manager (aka PHB). It is less important to me
    that WO is not Open Source, but I would like the ability to pull in other
    people's code (JARs, I believe?) and integrate it with ours where
    appropriate (the end result of this will be Open Source).

    Thoughts, suggestions? Have I overlooked other tools I should investigate?

    thanks,

    Alice

    Concerned that messages may bounce because your Hotmail account has exceeded
    its 2MB storage limit? Get Hotmail Extra Storage!
    http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es