Re: Evaluating WebObjects - seeking opinions

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Sun Nov 02 2003 - 14:01:42 EST

    Hi Alice,

    In my (biased) opinion you've narrowed down your choices to the best
    tools available in the Java world. Whichever way you go you will end up
    with a stable well designed tool that gets the job done.

    Note that both Cayenne and Tapestry have strong EOF/WO influence, so
    there are lots of architectural similarities. I few things to consider
    when making a choice are:

    1. WO is more mature than any comparable Java technology

    2. Apple's GUI productivity tools are more polished than the OpenSource
    alternatives (aside from WOLips that has the power of Eclipse platform
    behind it), but the gap is narrowing (E.g. I can't say that
    CayenneModeler is all that behind EOModeler).

    3. On the other hand, if you are not on Mac OS X, WO tools quality
    constantly goes down due to the (understandable) lack of interest from
    Apple to support Windows (and those tools never existed on Linux).
    There are rumors that there is a good chance of loosing WOBuilder and
    EOModeler altogether:
    http://objectstyle.org/woproject/lists/woproject-dev/2003/11/0000.html

    4. WO has Direct-to-Web (DTW) and Direct-to-Java Client technologies
    that allow fast rule based programming. On a side note Cayenne soon
    adds Swing view integration support called "Data Views":
    http://objectstyle.org/cayenne/lists/cayenne-devel/2003/10/0042.html
    and
    http://objectstyle.org/cayenne/lists/cayenne-devel/2003/10/0033.html
    Should make it a snap creating the apps with rich Swing UI.

    5. PHB issue. I guess Open Source has more leverage in the corporate
    world these days, while Apple is still perceived as somewhat of a
    consumer technology provider (looking at Xserve prices I am surprised
    anyone is buying those things at all.. it is one thing to have a cool
    PowerBook with Mac OS X on your desk, but putting an overpriced piece
    of iron on the rack in the closet is totally different). All the Java
    companies I've known in the past 2 years (including banks, telcos,
    etc.) use Open Source software in some form (this is very different
    from say year 2000). So the PHBs in those companies are sometimes even
    forced to come up with the "Open Source strategy" for their company,
    and other funny stuff.

    6. Don't underestimate Open Source benefits for you as a user. The
    ability to modify and fix the source code is your weapon needed for
    survival. If you look at Cayenne mailing list archives for the past few
    months, patches for the critical bugs discovered by the users where
    released within a day! Same is true if you need new features that a
    product X does not support.

    ... But like I've said, you are safe making your choice out of two
    great options ;-)

    Cheers,
    Andrus