Re: Evaluating WebObjects - seeking opinions

From: Alice Oaks (aliceoak..otmail.com)
Date: Sun Nov 02 2003 - 14:28:30 EST

    Hi Andrus, thanks for the reply!

    >In my (biased) opinion you've narrowed down your choices to the best tools
    >available in the Java world. Whichever way you go you will end up with a
    >stable well designed tool that gets the job done.

    Yes, I imagine you might be slightly biased. :) I agree with you, however -
    the choices seemed pretty obvious once I got going.

    >3. On the other hand, if you are not on Mac OS X

    Sorry, should have mentioned this. Most of us are on Mac OS X, and if
    necessary I think we could convert the few holdouts. However, it would be
    very nice if we could deploy on Linux servers.

    >So the PHBs in those companies are sometimes even forced to come up with
    >the "Open Source strategy" for their company, and other funny stuff.

    Interesting... I would have thought that with Apple doing relatively well
    right now, it would have won out on this point. Good to know that the word
    on the street goes the other way, though not so good for Apple!

    >Oh yeah, I overlooked this note in Alice's email. If you plan to release
    >your product as Open Source, you must think of all the licensing issues
    >upfront. And of course the general acceptance of your product will be
    >*much* wider if it does not require licensing WO from Apple to run it.

    Well... I'm more interested in choosing the right tools for our own use.
    We'll make our code available to anyone who wants to use it, but we're not
    trying to take over the world here. So if we choose WO, maybe we'll just
    inspire a few others to make the same choice.

    Thanks!

    Alice

    Want to check if your PC is virus-infected? Get a FREE computer virus scan
    online from McAfee.