Re: EOGenerator and Ant-Task

From: Chuck Hill (chil..lobal-village.net)
Date: Fri Nov 07 2003 - 14:13:36 EST

    Alexander Schneider wrote:

    >> 1. The path ..\..\bin\eogenerator\eogenerator.exe is going to be relative
    >> to the location of eogenerate.xml, not the location of build.xml.
    >

    > Why? I am not sure about this. What strikes me is that I have now my ant
    > task running from the command line (obviously called from my framework
    > root directory where the build.xml is located) and it runs just fine.
    >
    > But if I call "Build Project" from inside Eclipse I get the error I
    > mentioned before. I am confused what I did wrong in my settings.

    Relative paths are interpreted relative to the ant script they are
    used in.

    >> 2. The inheritall="false" in the ant task calling eogenerate.xml seems
    >> wrong. As this generate.eos.database task depends on setProps, don't you
    >> want the child process to inherit these properties? Yet it seems that it
    >> is getting the value for eogenerator.executable from somewhere so
    >> perhaps I
    >> am incorrect.
    >

    > In my ant book ("Java Development with Ant" from Manning which I think
    > is a very good book) they say to add "inheritall=false" to the ant task
    > because there are some quirks about getting the "right" execution
    > directory stuff. I just added it like they said but now I removed it.

    I have that book as well and agree that it is excellent. Using
    "inheritall=true" can be problematic in some cases (well, I trust them
    that this is correct), but it is neccessary or useful in others to
    avoid explicitly passing a large environment to the child task.

    > Is there any setting in Eclipse that I forgot to set?

    I don't think so. You might want to use the Ant version of println to
    see what is happening:
    <echo message="${egenerator.path}"/>

    etc.

    Chuck

    P.S. I have a proper Ant task for EOGenerator which I am supposed to
    be giving to WOProject shortly. It makes this much easier. I just
    need to get some free time first... :-(

    --

    Chuck Hill chil..lobal-village.net Global Village Consulting Inc. http://www.global-village.net

    Progress is the mother of all problems. - G. K. Chesterton