Re: migrating to woproject/wolips but staying back-compatible to PB

From: Ulrich Köster (ulric..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Wed Nov 12 2003 - 16:11:59 EST

    Hi Oleg,

    Am 11.11.2003 um 12:32 schrieb Bondarenko, Oleg:

    > Hello and congratulations for a great job!
    >

    > I somehow failed to find an answer in the mailing list archives,
    > although I think my situation should be rather common.
    >

    > We have several big WO projects, developed under Windows (running
    > under Solaris) by several developers in different company branches all
    > over theEurope. I personally really dislike theProjectBuilderand would
    > love to switch to some “real” IDE like Eclipse. But the sudden
    > migration of all developers is hard to realize and - to be honest -
    > risky. So for some time we would like to keep the existing PB projects
    > with existing directory structures and merge changes made
    > withWOLipsinto them. The following scenario would be ideal:
    It's a good idea to take the time you need. Get used to Eclipse and
    WOLips.

    > 1. I (and other developers who migrate) createa new projectsin a
    > new location by importing an existing project withWOLipswizard.
    The main difference between a WOLips and a ProjectBuilder project is
    the src folder and folder for the packages.

    > 2. When some other developer (working withProjectBuilder) commits
    > changes into the old PB project, I want to be able to integrate these
    > changes into my newWOLipsproject.
    As longs as you add files to the project with WOLips you are golden. In
    the case you add them with PB you have to move them into the src
    folder.
    It's safe to modify your files (classes, components eomodels.....) with
    PB and WOLips.
    > 3. When I make changes on the newWOLipsproject I want to integrate
    > them into the old PB project (and commit into CVS).
    WOLips maintains the PB.project file. Make a clean in PB to update the
    makefiles.

    > Is it possible to realize such scenario?
    Avoid to switch an existing project to fast. Get used to Eclipse.
    - Create a java project in Eclipse build and launch it. (Without WO and
    WOLips.)
    - Create a WOFramework and a WOApplication. Build and launch the app.
    - Import an existing WOFramework.
    - Modify the imported WOFramework with WOLips and PB.

    After that you should have an answer to your question, and answers for
    your developers.

    Ulrich