Re: Frameworks, Incremental Builder, and how we should develop.

From: Harald Niesche (haral..heco.de)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 06:24:19 EST

    Ulrich Köster wrote:

    > Hi Ian,
    >
    > normally a classpath entry is a classpath entry. WO is different :-). An
    > entry with a .framework in the path is a WOFramework bundle.
    >
    > The WOResourceManager is able to load resources from the project if a
    > PB.project (XCode........) is found on the NSProjectSearchPath. Changing
    > the PB.project has no effect to the classpath.
    >
    > The usual way in Eclipse to maintain the classpath is via the
    > JavaBuildPath pages. It would be great if we were able select the
    > required projects and WOLips take care about the rest. We had no idea to
    > do this at the early days of WOLips. That's the reason why you have to
    > inlcude the project and the product in the Eclipse classpath.

    For launching and debugging it's not necessary to install a Framework as
    long as it's referenced on the Java Build Path. This should work with
    incremental builds as well as with Ant builds.

    > So what's allready there. :-) Please try the following:
    >
    > Create a WOApplication and WOFramework with WOLips 1.0.7.40. Open the
    > 'Java Build Path' for the WOApplication and select the WOFramework in
    > the 'Projects' tab. Add a WOComponent to the WOFramework with a "Hello"
    > in the body. Create a WOHyperlink in the Main WOComponent to display the
    > WOComponent from the WOFramework. Refresh both Projects. Launch the
    > WOApplication within Eclipse. Everything should work as expected.
    > Terminate the WOApplication. Switch to IncrementalBuilder and launch the
    > WOApplication again........
    >
    > WOLips includes the WOFramework from your project automatically in the
    > classpath. There some rules for it. You have to build your WOFramework
    > in the project in the default location (project root or dist for ant and
    > project root or build for incremental), the WOFramework must be visible
    > for Eclipse (refresh) and the WOFramwork must be referenced by the
    > WOApplication.

    Actually, the incremental build always creates it's output in the build
    folder (AFAIK).

    > One thing is missing. The Classpath.txt. Your WOFramework is not
    > included. We're working on it.

    You should use the Classpath Container (Libraries ... WebObjects
    Frameworks) to refer to installed version of frameworks. Iff they are
    installed, they are correctly generated into the Classpath.txt. Using
    the Classpath Container for these references ensures that launching
    works correctly (if you use Classpath Variables to refer to installed
    copies of frameworks also referenced as projects in your workspace, you
    will get error messages about duplicate Bundles, the Classpath Container
    avoids that).

    Harald