RE: Frameworks, Incremental Builder, and how we should develop.

From: Ian McDougall (ian.mcdougal..mode.com)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 12:04:07 EST

    > Create a WOApplication and WOFramework with WOLips 1.0.7.40. Open the
    > 'Java Build Path' for the WOApplication and select the WOFramework in
    > the 'Projects' tab. Add a WOComponent to the WOFramework with a "Hello"
    > in the body. Create a WOHyperlink in the Main WOComponent to display
    > the WOComponent from the WOFramework. Refresh both Projects. Launch
    > the WOApplication within Eclipse. Everything should work as expected.
    > Terminate the WOApplication. Switch to IncrementalBuilder and launch
    > the WOApplication again........

    Yep... this works fine. However there are two big problems:

    - The framework component does not show up in the list of components when
    you insert a custom WO component [menu WebObjects -> Custom WebObjects]
    - The classes from the framework do not show up in the list when you attempt
    to add a new key.

    For these features to work in WOBuilder, the Framework needs to be
    referenced in the Application's PB.project. I can make this work if I make
    the following changes to the Application's PB.project:

    - Add the test framework name to the FRAMEWORKS list.
    - Add the path to the 'build' directory (e.g.
    "C:\\java\\eclipse\\workspace\\TestFramework\\build") to the FRAMEWORKSEARCH
    list.

    Without this, WOBuilder is essentially useless with the incremental builder.

    Any chance you could update WOLips to do this for us? For example, add an
    entry under the Java Build Path -> Libraries -> WO Frameworks list would be
    'Workspace'. It would list all frameworks open in the workspace, and if
    selected, updates the PB.project by adding the framework name to the
    FRAMEWORK list and adds the path containing the .framework directory to the
    FRAMEWORKSEARCH list ('build' if incremental build and project root if ant)

    This would greatly help the 'out of the box' experience for existing WO
    users. The less we need to know about PB.project the better!

    thanks.