Re: Frameworks, Incremental Builder, and how we should develop.

From: Harald Niesche (haral..heco.de)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 12:21:06 EST

    Ian McDougall wrote:

    > Yep... this works fine. However there are two big problems:
    >
    > - The framework component does not show up in the list of components when
    > you insert a custom WO component [menu WebObjects -> Custom WebObjects]
    > - The classes from the framework do not show up in the list when you attempt
    > to add a new key.
    >
    > For these features to work in WOBuilder, the Framework needs to be
    > referenced in the Application's PB.project. I can make this work if I make
    > the following changes to the Application's PB.project:
    >
    > - Add the test framework name to the FRAMEWORKS list.
    > - Add the path to the 'build' directory (e.g.
    > "C:\\java\\eclipse\\workspace\\TestFramework\\build") to the FRAMEWORKSEARCH
    > list.
    >
    > Without this, WOBuilder is essentially useless with the incremental builder.

    Is there a difference regarding this situation when you use Ant builds?

    > Any chance you could update WOLips to do this for us? For example, add an
    > entry under the Java Build Path -> Libraries -> WO Frameworks list would be
    > 'Workspace'. It would list all frameworks open in the workspace, and if
    > selected, updates the PB.project by adding the framework name to the
    > FRAMEWORK list and adds the path containing the .framework directory to the
    > FRAMEWORKSEARCH list ('build' if incremental build and project root if ant)

    Ulrich and I discussed this some time ago and it seems to me we would
    have to duplicate UI for the functionality behind the "Projects" tab in
    "Java Build Path" if we wanted to add a "Workspace" list to the WO
    Frameworks container.

    Would it be allright if we simply added referenced Framework-Projects
    from the workspace without extra UI in the Libraries -> WO Frameworks
    thingy?

    It should be possible for us to simply add the required entries to the
    FRAMEWORK list in PB.project without an extra page -- you must check the
    Framework Project's checkbox anyway, if you want your Java Classes to
    compile. Would that be alright with you? Do you think this would be much
    more difficult to understand?

    Harald