RE: Frameworks, Incremental Builder, and how we should develop.

From: Ian McDougall (ian.mcdougal..mode.com)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 13:03:17 EST

    > Is there a difference regarding this situation when you use Ant builds?

    Yes. When I use ant, I 'install' to the Local/Library/Frameworks dir which
    is already referenced in the
    FRAMEWORKSEARCH list, then I choose the framework from the WO Frameworks
    Library. The framework name gets added to FRAMEWORKS and everything works
    in WOBuilder (except today... but that's another issue...)

    > > Any chance you could update WOLips to do this for us? For
    > example, add an
    > > entry under the Java Build Path -> Libraries -> WO Frameworks
    > list would be
    > > 'Workspace'. It would list all frameworks open in the workspace, and if
    > > selected, updates the PB.project by adding the framework name to the
    > > FRAMEWORK list and adds the path containing the .framework
    > directory to the
    > > FRAMEWORKSEARCH list ('build' if incremental build and project
    > root if ant)
    >
    > Ulrich and I discussed this some time ago and it seems to me we would
    > have to duplicate UI for the functionality behind the "Projects" tab in
    > "Java Build Path" if we wanted to add a "Workspace" list to the WO
    > Frameworks container.
    >
    > Would it be allright if we simply added referenced Framework-Projects
    > from the workspace without extra UI in the Libraries -> WO Frameworks
    > thingy?

    That would work, but may confuse users. What about a seperate library
    devoted to this? When a new WOAppliction is created, the user can have the
    choice of selecting which framework projects they wish to associate with.

    > It should be possible for us to simply add the required entries to the
    > FRAMEWORK list in PB.project without an extra page -- you must check the
    > Framework Project's checkbox anyway, if you want your Java Classes to
    > compile. Would that be alright with you? Do you think this would be much
    > more difficult to understand?

    It would be great if WOLips could figure out if a required project (i.e.
    selected project under Java Build Path -> Projects) was a WOFramework, and
    did the right thing to the PB.project. That way all Workspace related
    dependancies are handled under the Projects tab and all library dependancies
    are handled under the Library tab.