Hotswap?

From: Anjo Krank (kran..ogicunited.com)
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 06:02:58 EST

    All,

    I'm currently struggling with Hotswap on Panther. I'm using Eclipse
    M_5, WOLips 1.0.7.37, MacOS X 10.3.1, java 1.4.1_01.

    The first thing I noticed is that the default debug configuration
    doesn't work. There are way to many duplicate entries, but the order is
    different from the one in the MaxOSXClassPath.txt file.

    Second - and more important - the .woa is missing, which never sets up
    the main bundle correctly, thus the app doesn't find Main,
    DirectAction, Session etc. In fact it did find some entries, but these
    were Main and Session from javax.mail...

    Adding the .woa manually, helped though and the app finally starts. But
    I don't get why sometimes hotswapping works (the changed implementation
    executes), sometimes it doesn't with an error dialog about "unchanged
    stack traces" even though the app is sitting in its idle loop.

    So a few questions:
    - why isn't the MaxOSXClassPath.txt not consulted during debug
    execution? How can this be fixed?
    - is Hotswap even *supposed* to work with the given configuration? If
    not, is there another one that does work?

    But, other than that it doesn't work reliably, it seems pretty nice and
    - in part - better than the compiler proxy, because one could alter EOs
    with it, which is not possible with the CP.

    Cheers, Anjo