Re: Hotswap?

From: Anjo Krank (anjo.kran..-online.de)
Date: Sat Dec 06 2003 - 03:54:46 EST

    Hi Harald,

    Am 06.12.2003 um 00:51 schrieb Harald Niesche:

    > Anjo Krank wrote:
    >> The confusing thing is that the paths have a lot of "WOFramework"
    >> items in it - I guess there is one for every included project. It
    >> should have all the items for the currently executing app instead.
    >
    > The display in the Classpath tab of your launch configuration is
    > misleading -- if you use the WOApplication launcher, the duplicates
    > should be removed (if you reference a Framework both with the
    > WOFrameworks Classpath Container and as a project in your Workspace,
    > the installed Framework will be removed from the classpath so that WO
    > doesn't get confused).

    It's me who's confused, not WO:) Also there is a problem when you do
    embedded builds, because the copied frameworks will get found, too.

    > I think it would be a lot of work to re-implement the Classpath tab
    > for the WOLips launcher, and if you just ignore it everything should
    > be fine (be sure to let me know if it isn't, I just tried it with our
    > projects :-)

    It's not. Again, the .woa is missing from the classpath - printing out
    java.class.path doesn't show it. My uneducated guess is:

    - the classpath is built by lowercasing the .jars, which may work in
    windows, but doesn't on panther
    - the classpath is built by making assumptions on the built product
    paths (/build/ or /dist/, I don't remember), which may or may not hold
    true. I prefer to built in ~/Roots, because all of Wonder is built that
    way - it didn't work when the built app was in the project's root,
    though.

    >> Via the "Launch/Debug as WOApplication" item. The thing is that there
    >> is no reference to the various wrappers - none for the .woa and none
    >> for the frameworks that are referenced as projects. so their bundles
    >> are not initialized and this there is no "Main" page, for example.
    >
    > The references should be there when you launch the application, they
    > are just not shown in the Classpaths tab. You can verify that in the
    > debug view by viewing the properties of the ...\javaw.exe node in the
    > Thread-tree.

    Need to try this, but printing out java.class.path doesn't show these
    entries.

    > If that doesn't work properly with the Classpath Container and
    > referenced Framework projects (using the WOApplication launch thingy),
    > then you have either found a bug or created that launch configuration
    > with an old WOLips version.

    No, this is a fresh install of M5 with WOLips 1.0.37 - the one
    mentioned on the web site for M5.

    >> Yes, so I noticed, but it is a hell lot more work and voodoo involved
    >> than I'd like...can you give me a very short intro in how to extend
    >> WOLips when running Eclipse? I assume that the PDE also supports
    >> hot-swap, but for the life of me I can't figure how to get anything
    >> to work...
    >
    > It usually works fine for me -- some kinds of changes don't work and
    > you have to remember that the application must be debugged for it to
    > work. A recent JDK (1.4.1_01 +) also helps a lot.

    I was hoping for sth like "import the tree of wolips as this_and_that,
    enable the foo view, make changes, compile by using bar and run".
    Sorry, but the only refs I found so far were about starting a plugin
    project, not getting an existing one to work...also, I'd prefer to use
    the checked out source tree from CVS, so I can commit my changes back.

    Cheers, Anjo