Java 1.4.1 compile problem

From: Kamal Shah (kama..ffigent.com)
Date: Tue Dec 30 2003 - 07:14:13 EST

    I have a huge project that was done using Java v1.3.1. We now need to
    move to 1.4.1 because of some font issues. In the 1.3.1 version, we
    could import a class not defined in a package into another class. In
    1.4.1 this is not allowed. Now, in this project, we have classes not in
    packages being imported in some other classes. To give an example, the
    Application class is being imported and it is not in a package. Now if
    we import the Application class into the class which needs it, there
    are classes which are being used in the Application class that are
    again not in packages and we will need to put these in packages. Also,
    variables that are present in this class and are protected are being
    accessed directly without using accessors and so, once we put the class
    in a package, we cannot access these variables directly.

    All these problems are not insurmountable but will require a lot of
    work. I was wondering if using WOLips will resolve this problem without
    so much rework.

    Thanks
    Kamal