Re: Java 1.4.1 compile problem

From: Ulrich Köster (ulric..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Tue Dec 30 2003 - 08:04:48 EST

    Hi Kamal,

    Am 30.12.2003 um 13:14 schrieb Kamal Shah:

    > I have a huge project that was done using Java v1.3.1. We now need to
    > move to 1.4.1 because of some font issues. In the 1.3.1 version, we
    > could import a class not defined in a package into another class. In
    > 1.4.1 this is not allowed. Now, in this project, we have classes not
    > in packages being imported in some other classes. To give an example,
    > the Application class is being imported and it is not in a package.
    > Now if we import the Application class into the class which needs it,
    > there are classes which are being used in the Application class that
    > are again not in packages and we will need to put these in packages.
    > Also, variables that are present in this class and are protected are
    > being accessed directly without using accessors and so, once we put
    > the class in a package, we cannot access these variables directly.
    >
    > All these problems are not insurmountable but will require a lot of
    > work. I was wondering if using WOLips will resolve this problem
    > without so much rework.

    See the api of com.webobjects.foundation.NSKeyValueCoding.ValueAccessor
    for several ways to work with protected variables.

    What is exactly your problem with packages? Can I get an example to
    understand your problem.

    How do you put the classes in packages? The normal way is to use
    refactoring->move and source->organize imports (both from the context
    menu) in Eclipse.

    Ulrich