Re: UnsupportedEncodingException: NSMacOSRomanStringEncoding

From: Ashley Aitken (mrhatke..ac.com)
Date: Tue Apr 20 2004 - 09:00:25 EDT

    Not sure if it is related but I had a similar problem (and still do
    somewhat) with WO 5.2.3, Java 1.4.2 on Windows 2000 Server SP4. I sm
    not using Eclipse, I am developing with XCode on MacOS X to deploy on
    Windows (for now - hoping to move to Eclipse on OS X soon).

    I had encoding problems even with JavaMonitor (do you have encoding
    problems with JavaMonitor?) and simple apps that I developed on MacOSX
    and transferred to Windows (an interesting process in and of itself).
    This is what I (with the help of the list) worked out:

    1. These Windows configs should (I think) be able to handle
    NSMacOSRomanStringEncoding if everything is configured and working
    correctly. The JAR that was mentioned is to help the conversion (or
    whatever you call what is being done ;-)

    2. One of the main causes of this problem is that Windows may be using
    an old version of Java (and hence not being looking in the right places
    for the right JARS etc.). Chuck suggested giving the explict path to
    the Java VM (java.exe) in the project configuration file.

    The CLSSPATH.TXT file in the Resources/Windows folder of the WO
    Application has a line like:

    # JVM == java

    It looks like a comment but it is not (great thinking who ever did
    that!) and you can put the complete path to the JVM there, like:

    # JVM == C:\j2sdk1.4.2_04\bin\java.exe

    That helps WO find the right JVM. I also installed the SDK rather than
    just the VM because I thought it may be necessary, but I am not 100%
    sure on that.

    Funny thing is, I am still see the problem now and then, and even
    stranger, when I start some programs (like JavaMonitor) each page gets
    the encoding exception once, but when I reload the page it is handled
    fine. Go figure!

    I have also started making sure everything I do is encoded UTF8 (or the
    appropriate string for that). I am not sure, but believe, that is a
    good choice. Can anyone recommend a better all-purpose encoding?

    I hope that helps (more than it confuses).

    Cheers,
    Ashley.

    --
    Ashley Aitken