Re: Eclipse RC2 Compatibility/Classpath confusion

From: Harald Niesche (haral..heco.de)
Date: Thu Jun 17 2004 - 11:23:10 EDT

    Anjo Krank wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > gee, a little bit of digging takes you a looong way:)
    >
    >> The bad news is that the class files are no longer copied over to
    >> build/<sometarget>/Resources/Java during incremental build, which
    >> makes it impossible to run apps because none of the component classes
    >> are found. Do you have any idea why they are not copied anymore?
    >

    > This is because the initial patternset "ant/classes.include.pattern" is
    >
    > *.class
    > *.properties
    >
    > while it probably should be
    >
    > **/*.class
    > *.properties
    >
    > I changed this in CVS.

    I am unsure whether the requirements for these patterns are the same for
    the incremental build and the ant build (both use the same patterns
    now). That's why I haven't changed anything there.

    > The matcher is also cached, so you need to restart Eclipse if you make
    > changes. The same probably holds for all the other pattern matchers.

    I have a patch for this in my workspace, I originally wanted to commit
    these changes last weekend but didn't find the time.

    >> When I add the projects DAVExample and DAVObjects again in the Debug
    >> Classpath panel, I get:
    >> /Volumes/Home/extras/webobjects/support/DAVExample/bin
    >> /Volumes/Home/extras/webobjects/support/DAVExample/build/
    >> DAVExample.woa/Contents/Resources/Java
    >> /Volumes/Home/extras/webobjects/support/DAVObjects/bin
    >> /Volumes/Home/extras/webobjects/support/DAVObjects/build/
    >> DAVObjects.framework/Resources/Java
    >> /Volumes/Home/extras/webobjects/support/DAVExample/bin
    >> /Volumes/Home/extras/webobjects/support/DAVObjects/bin
    >> [snip WO stuff]
    >

    > While it is a kludge and makes it impossible to use
    > NSBundle.bundleForClass(), at least this works so that the app can
    > start and display pages and also get fresh classes when debugging.

    I have a fix that makes NSBundle.bundleForClass() work fine, but it
    includes removing your patch (I wrote to you about that). Also not
    committed yet.

    > Now, apart from that, WOLips seems to run in Eclipse RC2. What doesn't
    > work (from what I've seen) is the "New Project Wizard", but I don't use
    > it anyway so I can't really comment.

    I have another problem that only occurs after you start actually
    changing files (just starting Eclipse and running a testapp doesn't
    trigger it). The symptom is flickering CVS label decorations, the core
    problem seems to be that two ChangeListeners inside WOLips trigger each
    other, leading to some kind of infinite loop (it's not a tight loop, you
    can still close the workbench). The only fix I have for that is actually
    disabling the Listeners. I think we should migrate the stuff these
    Listeners do into the build process (either a base class for both Ant
    and Incremental builder or a third builder that does what needs to be
    done and is registered regardless of the build style).

    Harald