Re: CVS and EOModel

From: Harald Niesche (haral..heco.de)
Date: Thu Jul 01 2004 - 17:10:06 EDT

    Jochen Haeberle wrote:
    > I am having troubles with my EOModels and the CVS-View in eclipse. The CVS
    > View shows outgoing changes to all the Models files nearly all the time.
    > Inspecting the files shows no difference, but they are marked as changed. We
    > do not allways just commit all the files and this way we already missed some
    > real changes in the Plist-Files.

    This is not only a problem with EOModels, to us it also happens with
    Components (*.wo Folder contents: .html, .wod, .woo files).

    The reason is that CVS normally uses the file modification date to
    decide whether a file has been changed. The WO Tools that use folders as
    files usually re-write all the files inside a folder when anything
    inside changes.

    > Is this just my problem? Anything one can do about this???

    To work around this problem you have these options:
    - turn on the option to "Consider file contents in comparisons" (this
    makes CVS operations slower and creates lots of traffic) -- this option
    is at Window/Preferences/Team/CVS, it may sometimes be necessary to also
    enable this option in the Synchronize View

    - You can use the Team/Update context menu command in Eclipse 2.1.x to
    clear the extraneous change flags, in Eclipse 3.0 there is a new command
    called "Clean Timestamps" in the context menu of the Synchronize view i
    the Synchronization Perspective.
    (I recommend this second option since it's considerably faster and also
    works quickly when you're working with the extssh connection method).

    I think it does not matter whether your files are marked as text or
    binary for these options to work.

    I Hope this helps

    Harald