WOBuilder and WOLips 1.1.0.70 beta1 (was Re: Convert an existing Xcode project to Eclipse)

From: Ashley Aitken (mrhatke..ac.com)
Date: Thu Jul 22 2004 - 19:19:59 EDT

    Howdy All,

    On 23/07/2004, at 5:27 AM, Chuck Hill wrote:
    >> 1) Is there a way to get WOBuilder to read the instance variables in
    >> the bottom pane for drag and drop?
    >>
    > Which OS? On Windows it works as poorly as it always did. On MacOs,
    > there is a hack at
    > http://www.objectstyle.org/woproject/wolips.html
    > That seems to work. Then again, sometimes this does not work all that
    > well even with xCode to begin with.

    I've used this hack before and it worked fine for Eclipse 2.1.3 and
    WOBuilder - it does (or did) unfortunately stop things working somewhat
    with Xcode, i.e. you had to choose either to have things working
    completely in Eclipse or to have things working completely in Xcode.

    I believe the problem is/was that the way Xcode and WOBuilder
    communicate has changed recently and WOLips hadn't/hasn't been updated
    to handle this new method/API. I think the hack reverts the
    communication method to the old way, so now WOLips works but Xcode has
    problems.

    It was easy enough, though, to setup a little script that could easily
    change from one set of files (ie framework versions) to another so you
    could go back and forth between Eclipse and Xcode. I believe the
    changes only affected WOBuilder and EOModeller, but I guess it could
    cause problems with InterfaceBuilder - I'm not sure.

    All that said, I was hoping the WOLips release for Eclipse 3.0.0. was
    going to make this hack unnecessary, but now that I think back I am not
    so sure that was the case. I believe WOLips people were even thinking
    about developing their own solution to replace WOBuilder, so perhaps it
    is not as easy to fix this problem ...

    Of course, all this is just my limited understanding, someone from
    WOLips should be able to provide a more authoritative explanation.

    Cheers,
    Ashley.

    PS I've CC'ed this to woproject-de..bjectstyle.org

    --
    Ashley Aitken
    Perth, Western Australia