Re: Rapid turnaround not working or not configured right

From: Brendan Duddridge (brenda..lickspace.com)
Date: Tue Aug 24 2004 - 00:27:25 EDT

    Hi Ashley,

    > Do you also see:
    >
    > 2004-08-24 11:43:34,026 ERROR AppName[-:62147 0] NSLog
    > (ERXNSLogLog4jBridge.java:41) - Cannot use rapid turnaround. Please
    > start Xcode and open the project for this application.

    No, it does not say that for me. Maybe because I'm missing a flag setting or
    something. I'm also not using the Project Wonder frameworks, so I don't see
    the ERXNSLogLog4jBridge output.

    This is what I see when starting my app from Eclipse:

    [2004-08-23 21:56:47 MDT] <main> Created adaptor of class WODefaultAdaptor
    on port 54054 and address voyager.local/10.0.1.2 with WOWorkerThread minimum
    of 16 and maximum of 256

    [2004-08-23 21:56:48 MDT] <main> Application project found: Will locate
    resources in '/Users/brendan/Projects/DriveIt/DriveItAdmin' rather than
    '/Users/brendan/Projects/DriveIt/DriveItAdmin/build/DriveItAdmin.woa' .

    [2004-08-23 21:56:48 MDT] <main> Creating LifebeatThread now with:
    DriveItAdmin 54054 voyager.local/10.0.1.2 1085 30000

    > I wonder if the "ProjectName.xcode" folder (and file) has got out of
    > synch with your (our) project, and if this has any relevance.

    I'm not sure if the Xcode project being in sync is relevant. But I'll do
    some further tests.

    > What it is the ProjectName.xcode folder there for anyways? I was
    > hoping that it mean we wouldn't have to use the PrivateFrameworks hack
    > anymore (since we could use the new interapplication communication
    > method ...).

    That would be SOOOO GREAT! It would also be good if WOLips managed the
    ProjectName.xcode folder too, so when you add or remove a component from
    Eclipse, it automatically updates the Xcode project. Right now it seems you
    have to manage the project in both Eclipse and Xcode.

    Just being able to see WOBuilder bindings without my Xcode project open
    would be awesome. I have two new-to-WO developers working with me now and
    it's not a very good showcase of developing WebObjects if they have to jump
    through hoops managing their projects in both Eclipse and Xcode to get
    anything done.

    Please, don't take this the wrong way, I LOVE Eclipse and I am eternally
    grateful for all the hard work the developers have put into WOLips. We're
    just sooo close to a perfect Xcode free WOrld. :-) Not that I don't like
    Xcode. But it sure ain't no Eclipse!

    > All that said, strangely, rapid turnaround *does* seem to work for me.

    Even without Xcode open? Or do you have your project open in Xcode to get it
    to work?

    >> Is it possible the application does not find resources if they are in
    >> sub-folders? I have all my WO components in a Components directory in
    >> my
    >> project.
    >
    > My resources are in sub-sub-...-sub-folders ...

    Well, that's good news then.

    >> How do other people get rapid turnaround to work properly?
    >
    > Are you using the Incremental Builder?

    Yes, the Incremental builder for all my projects.

    > Does the Ant builder place the build product in the same place the
    > incremental builder does?

    I'm not sure. But I would think it would if it's just a build and not an
    install.

    > I believe the incremental build goes into the build directory whereas
    > an install build goes into the dist directory.

    Well, my install builds wind up in /Library/Frameworks and
    /Library/WebObjects/Applications. Never really noticed the dist folder.

    > Sorry no clear help here.

    Every little bit helps!

    > Cheers,
    > Ashley.