Re: Rapid turnaround not working or not configured right

From: Ashley Aitken (mrhatke..ac.com)
Date: Tue Aug 24 2004 - 01:08:36 EDT

    Hi again Brendan (and list members),

    On 24/08/2004, at 12:27 PM, Brendan Duddridge wrote:

    >> I wonder if the "ProjectName.xcode" folder (and file) has got out of
    >> synch with your (our) project, and if this has any relevance.
    >
    > I'm not sure if the Xcode project being in sync is relevant. But I'll
    > do
    > some further tests.

    Yes, I think you are right.

    >> What it is the ProjectName.xcode folder there for anyways? I was
    >> hoping that it mean we wouldn't have to use the PrivateFrameworks hack
    >> anymore (since we could use the new interapplication communication
    >> method ...).
    >
    > That would be SOOOO GREAT! It would also be good if WOLips managed the
    > ProjectName.xcode folder too, so when you add or remove a component
    > from
    > Eclipse, it automatically updates the Xcode project.

    Unfortunately, I believe (and you can see from looking inside) that the
    format for the Xcode project file is much less transparent and
    manageable than the PB.project project file.

    > Right now it seems you
    > have to manage the project in both Eclipse and Xcode.
    >
    > Just being able to see WOBuilder bindings without my Xcode project open
    > would be awesome. I have two new-to-WO developers working with me now
    > and
    > it's not a very good showcase of developing WebObjects if they have to
    > jump
    > through hoops managing their projects in both Eclipse and Xcode to get
    > anything done.

    Well there is a way, and it's what I (and I believe lots of other do),
    it's called doing the PrivateFrameworks jiggle ;-) Basically, it
    involves swapping in some older IDE/Tool private frameworks.

    See <http://www.objectstyle.org/woproject/wolips.html>

    It does have some effect on WO development in Xcode (not catastrophic)
    but it is easily reversible (in fact, I keep both copies of the
    frameworks around and have simple scripts to change from Eclipse to
    Xcode and back).

    It basically, I believe, changes the way the tools communicate and
    which project file they use (ie from the new way with Xcode and its
    project to old way with the PB.project).

    > Please, don't take this the wrong way, I LOVE Eclipse and I am
    > eternally
    > grateful for all the hard work the developers have put into WOLips.
    > We're
    > just sooo close to a perfect Xcode free WOrld. :-) Not that I don't
    > like
    > Xcode. But it sure ain't no Eclipse!

    I agree. Eclipse has been a real awakening for me (somewhat like the
    first time I saw a Mac or a TiVo), it is a truly amazing, the next
    generation of development tools.

    >> All that said, strangely, rapid turnaround *does* seem to work for me.
    >
    > Even without Xcode open? Or do you have your project open in Xcode to
    > get it
    > to work?

    Yes, even without Xcode (as discussed above).

    You may like to give it a go.

    Cheers,
    Ashley.

    --