Re: First Time User

From: Dirk Bajohr (d..solution.de)
Date: Thu Oct 07 2004 - 07:53:17 EDT

    >> I remember reading in a post (but I can't seem to find it) that
    >> talked about have a tool generate the model classes and then
    >> subclassing those classes to put in the business logic. Is this
    >> generally the accepted way of doing things? What sort of naming
    >> convention do people use eg User and UserLogic or UserCore and User?
    > We use a method for separating model-methods from custom logic as
    > described in the book "WebObjects 5" (it's a german book, I'm not
    > shure if there is an english version available).
    The book is only available in German language, written by
    Roescheisen/Roescheisen and published by Galileo Press
    (http://www.galileocomputing.de/katalog/buecher/titel/gp/titelID-294).
    It's a little bit outdated because it covers WO 5.0.

    > It's not an elegant solution and you have to provide a custom logic
    > class for every eoclass even if there is no need for custom logic at
    > all but it's very convenient: once the template is edited you could
    > update your eoclasses through EOModeler every time without the danger
    > of loosing any of your custom code.
    I used this method in a big project, but very soon I lost the "warm
    feeling". Problems come up when you have different superclasses for
    your EnterpriseObjects.

    I switched to Eclipse, WOLips and eogenerator, it worked (and still
    works) like a charm. I made the conversion manually: create the
    frameworks and projects manually in WOLips, copy all files to the
    appropriate directories and refresh in Eclipse.

    The 5 frameworks and 2 projects were fully functional after only 2
    days. XCode may be a nice development tool but I didn't miss it one
    day. And when I see the old ProjectBuilder on Windows... enough said!

    BTW this week I tried WO/Eclipse/WOLips on SuSE Linux, yes it really
    works! The only thing we still need is a (java?) replacement for
    WOBuilder and EOModeler.

    Cheers,
    Dirk

    --
    Dirk Bajohr
    iSOLUTION - Individuelle Software fuer moderne Kommunikation

    Hauptstr. 50 53757 Sankt Augustin

    T +49 2241 921567-0 F +49 2241 921567-89 http://www.isolution.de