Re: Prototypes in Cayenne?

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Fri Oct 29 2004 - 15:14:08 EDT

    Brendan,

    If you haven't seen my posts on this same topic in the past, they are in
    the archives. So I won't start with "I love WebObjects..." part this time,
    and go straight to the "...but" part ;-)

    In the argument "WO vs. the Rest of the World", WebObjects is still
    winning on its technical merits (though this is almost not noticeable now
    compared to say 1999). But when you deal with real-world situations, there
    are other factors that count. One of them is perceptions and prevailing
    mindset of the people you work with (be it your clients, investors,
    supervisors or employees).

    So while one can argue that NSArray is superior to java.util.Collection
    and friends, NSArray still remains one of those things that scare the hell
    out of an average Java developer (and maybe not so average too). And there
    are other things too...

    And I am not even going to start on the Apple's refusal to market/sell
    WebObjects as an enterprise Java solution directly competing with
    weblogics and jbosses of this world. This alone made a dozen or so
    companies that I know to switch away from WO completely.

    On the other hand with Cayenne I rarely (if ever) see any of these
    concerns. So to me it has always been a pragmatic solution to Java
    persistence problems instead of an uphill battle for a technology
    religion.

    Just my $ .02

    Andrus