Re: Prototypes in Cayenne?

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Sat Oct 30 2004 - 12:40:05 EDT

Hi there!

I am kind of sorry I jumped into this discussion. This list has managed
to stay purely technical for a number of years, and I'd love it to stay
that way. There is always wo-talk to vent one's frustrations ;-)

>> So while one can argue that NSArray is superior to
>> java.util.Collection
>> and friends, NSArray still remains one of those things that scare the
>> hell
>> out of an average Java developer (and maybe not so average too).
>
> Just for interest, and I realise you were only using this as an
> example, but may I ask why?
>
> 1. Because it is different
> 2. Because it separates NSMutableArray, NSArray?
> 3. Something else
> 4. All of the above.

While technically Collections API is not a part of the language, and
simply one of the libraries, it is the most important library. If you
count how many times you directly use List/Map (or
NSArray/NSDictionary) in the code, it will exceed the use of any other
class (except for String maybe). So switching to an incompatible
Collection API is in many respects like switching to a different
language. Few of the consequences are:

- there is a great deal of mental adjustment one must go through
- you have to write code bridging the two types of collections when
integration third-party libraries

Andrus