Re: Queries about WOLips, EOModeler & Ant

From: Chuck Hill (chil..lobal-village.net)
Date: Tue Dec 28 2004 - 00:46:52 EST

    On Dec 27, 2004, at 3:21 PM, Lance French wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm new to this list, WOLips and WebObjects so please forgive any
    > stupid
    > questions. I'm working on Windows XP SP2, Java 1.4.2_06, Eclipse
    > 3.0.1,
    > WOLips 1.1.0.90 RC3 and WO 5.2.2
    >
    > I'm trying to understand what WOLips/Wonder
    Wonder? You mean WProject? Project Wonder is extensions to the WO
    frameworks, nothing to do with the WOLips/WOProject build.

    > does and doesn't do for me.
    > First impressions seem to indicate that it does most of the
    > housekeeping
    > required for building/deploying WO apps. However, I've hit a
    > conceptual
    > brick wall with reqard to how it interacts with EOModels.
    >
    > I am trying to create a new EOModel and use the generation gap pattern
    > with
    > either eogenerator or WOGen, following the advice in 'Practical
    > WebObjects'.
    > I use the Wizard to create a new model and want to give each entity
    > class
    > its own name rather than use EOGenericRecord. I have created a new
    > builder
    > to do this using eogenerator which seems to work. However, I'd prefer
    > it to
    > be integrated in the Ant build file. Based on the info in Practical
    > WebObjects I was expecting to see a target in build.xml like <target
    > name="generate.eos" depends = "setProps"> which I'd then modify to use
    > eogenerator. However, this does not appear in my build.xml. Is this
    > correct?

    yes, that is not part of WOLips/WProject. The wogen task is part of it
    and is supposed to accomplish the same thing. I have never used it so
    I have no advice on configuring it.

    > Also, it seems that there can be multiple <exec ... statements within a
    > target. Why?

    exec launches an external process. If a task requires several external
    processes then there will be several execs.

    > Finally, what is the difference between Incremental & 'Use Ant' build
    > styles? I'm using Incremental; could this be relevant to the above?

    One the Ant task creates a jar file and the incremental does not. The
    incremental does the minimum needed to create the resources needed for
    a successful launch. The Ant builder creates a deploy ready package.
    The incremental is faster. IIRC, that was its purpose.

    Chuck

    --
    Practical WebObjects - a book for intermediate WebObjects developers
    who want to increase their overall knowledge of WebObjects, or those