Re: Problem running Web Services WO server _within_ WOLips

From: Chuck Hill (chil..lobal-village.net)
Date: Mon Mar 07 2005 - 12:55:27 EST

    On Mar 6, 2005, at 1:45 AM, Des Oates wrote:

    > Thanks for the hint. I tried this out but I had no luck. I replaced
    > the entire classpath contents in the Run... window with the libraries
    > and jars included in the development project but with no success. I'm
    > now getting a different error though. I now get this:
    >
    > Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError
    > at
    > com.webobjects.foundation._NSUtilities.<clinit>(_NSUtilities.java:154)
    > at
    > com.webobjects.appserver.WOApplication.<clinit>(WOApplication.java:
    > 165)

    More of the error message log (before and after) might help. It looks
    like it can't find your main Application class. That suggests that the
    classpath to the Appname.woa/Contents/Resources/Java or the jar file in
    there is missing or the app is not built.

    > What is the practical difference between Bootstrap classpath entries
    > and User classpath entries here? Which one should I be adding to?

    User. Stay away from bootstrap unless you are certain that you know
    what you are doing. This is mostly used for patching java and other
    frameworks.

    Chuck

    > On 4 Mar 2005, at 19:44, Chuck Hill wrote:
    >
    >> When you launch in Eclipse you get the classpath as set in the
    >> lancher configuration. When you launch from the command line (double
    >> click or in deployment) it uses a classpath that WOBootStrap.jar
    >> creates. It sounds like when you added frameworks to the project
    >> they did not get added to the launch config. Open the Run... window
    >> and update the classpath for the launch config.
    >>
    >> Chuck
    >>
    >> On Mar 4, 2005, at 6:44 AM, Des Oates wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a problem running my WebServices server project within
    >>> Eclipse. It is reproducible on Mac and Windows. (Machine Specs given
    >>> below) I think its a classpath /version conflict problem but need
    >>> some help identifying where this conflict can be resolved.
    >>>
    >>> This is only a development problem. I'm using the incremental build
    >>> option within WOLips and that itself seems to be fine. It does build
    >>> a valid server woa file. which, if I double click, will launch and
    >>> run perfectly. Furthermore, if I 'install' the application using the
    >>> WOLips context menu option, it also will install and run fine under
    >>> "/System/Library/WebObjects/Applications/" (or Windows equivalient)
    >>> and can control as you would expect using Monitor.
    >>>
    >>> However, if I try to run it from within Eclipse as a WOApplication I
    >>> get an error. I did notice that this error never occurred until I
    >>> added the Web Services frameworks to my project. and I don't get the
    >>> problem with XCode, but we have several Windows only developers, so
    >>> the Eclipse solution is what we need.
    >>>
    >>> The error log is :
    >>> [2005-03-04 14:28:53 GMT] <main> Creating LifebeatThread now with:
    >>> server 50343 deslaptop.local 1085 30000
    >>> Welcome to server !
    >>> Initializing WebServices... <--- this is mine
    >>> [2005-03-04 14:28:55 GMT] <main> A fatal exception occurred:
    >>> com.webobjects.webservices.support.WOXMLProvider.getRoles()Ljava/
    >>> util/List;
    >>> [2005-03-04 14:28:55 GMT] <main> java.lang.AbstractMethodError:
    >>> com.webobjects.webservices.support.WOXMLProvider.getRoles()Ljava/
    >>> util/List;
    >>> at
    >>> org.apache.axis.AxisEngine.refreshGlobalOptions(AxisEngine.java:479)
    >>> at
    >>> com.webobjects.webservices.support.WOXMLProvider.doConfigureEngine(WO
    >>> XMLProvider.java:85)
    >>> at
    >>> com.webobjects.webservices.support.WOXMLProvider.configureEngine(WOXM
    >>> LProvider.java:99)
    >>> at org.apache.axis.AxisEngine.init(AxisEngine.java:162)
    >>> at org.apache.axis.AxisEngine.<init>(AxisEngine.java:146)
    >>> at org.apache.axis.server.AxisServer.<init>(AxisServer.java:87)
    >>> at
    >>> com.webobjects.appserver._private.WOWebService.initServer(WOWebServic
    >>> e.java:113)
    >>> at
    >>> com.webobjects.appserver._private.WOWebService.registerService(WOWebS
    >>> ervice.java:147)
    >>> at
    >>> com.webobjects.appserver.WOWebServiceRegistrar.registerWebService(WOW