Re: XCode convert Questions

From: Susanne Schneider (Susanne.Schneide..nterActive-Systems.de)
Date: Thu Apr 21 2005 - 05:57:36 EDT

    Hi Greg,

    maybe I can help you at least in some of your problems.

    Greg schrieb:

    > Hi,
    > I have recently moved my project from Xcode to wolips and love the
    > improved productivity, but I have a few questions to help me how to
    > maximise it a bit more.
    >
    > 1. With XCode and WOBuilder you could change some html in a page a click
    > reload in the browser and it would automatically reflect in the browser
    > without having to restart the application. Using wolips I cannot seem to
    > get this functionality - I have to stop and restart the application to
    > see the changes. Is there something I need to setup to get this to work?

    This depends on the search path of the application (which is set from
    WOLips automatically, look in the output at startup for the setting of
    "NSSearchPath"). If your application will find the resources at the
    specified location, the rapid-turnaround will work. Mostly this
    functions better with the incremental builder instead of the ant-builder
    (project-properties).

    > 2. I cannot seem to get WOBuilder to load the api files, so when I go to
    > bind an attribute, the list of bindings is empty. They are all listed in
    > the PB.project file under WOAPP_RESOURCES.

    With this point I have difficulites too. It depends on a variety of
    options.

    The first is that the WOBuilder demands import statements in the
    java-files with "*" at the end: So it must be:
            import com.webobjects.foundation.*;
    instead of:
            import com.webobjects.foundation.NSArray;
    even if you need only one classes. The import statements can be very
    comfortably organized by Eclipse, but be shure to have set the number of
    classes needed for the import of whole packages to "1" or "0" (this can
    be set somewhere in the preferences).

    Another point is, that the PB.project files must be correct and in sync
    with your application. This can be done by WOLips (if it complaines,
    check manually to do not have any syntax errors).

    One more point: the name of your project in the PB.project file must be
    the same as from the "deployed" application. (I am handling different
    versions of the same application in Eclipse, so I needed to change the
    Eclipse-project names. This results in WOLips changing my application
    name in the PB.project file. I need to change that back manually.)

    The last point seems to be that all referenced frameworks must to be in
    the direct neighbourhood of the application to get all custom methods
    loaded. That is the point which I could not get to work because the
    Frameworks are put together in a separate directory. (Well, in german I
    would say "irgendwas ist immer" ;-)

    > 3. In eclipse using the wolips perspective, in the bottom left hand
    > corner, where it lists the related files, I have 2 sets of files, 1
    > located in /src/ and the other located in /bin/. When I right click on a
    > java file and go "Open WO Component" both the src and bin files get
    > opened. I have to check which file is the src file so I edit it and not
    > the bin one. I have the incremental builder set for my project.

    Try to customize the filters to hide the complete "bin" directory. You
    will rarely find a situation where you will need it directly.

    > Any information and guidance is greatly appreciated.

    Hopefully you will get at least something to work, Eclipse is great!

    Regards,
    Susanne

    --
    Susanne Schneider
    Coordinator secuSuite Development

    iAS interActive Systems GmbH Dieffenbachstraße 33 c, D-10967 Berlin

    fon +49(0)30 69 004 - 143 fax +49(0)30 69 004 - 101 mail susanne.schneide..nterActive-Systems.de web http://www.interActive-Systems.de