Re: wobuilder

From: Timo Hoepfner (th-de..nlinehome.de)
Date: Fri Aug 12 2005 - 12:41:49 EDT

    > Hmmm .. So maybe wobuilder DOES use that protocol. I'll look more
    > into how exactly it communicates w/ Xcode.

    I did some tests. WOBuilder doesn't use this communication channel,
    none of the Cocoa apps seems to use it. They're probably using
    Distributed Objects as Anjo already suggested.

    Looks like the whole XML communication via Socket is just to provide
    Java apps a means to communicate with XCode. One example is a normal
    WOApp which uses WOProjectBuilderAction, another one seems to be the
    EOBeanAssistant, which adds the generated files to XCode (maybe more,
    never used it...).

    So I guess we won't get rid of XCode so fast, but maybe we can use that
    channel the other way around: Instead of simulating XCode, we could
    remote control XCode either via the XML interface or by using the
    classes in com.webobjects._ideservices directly. This way XCode is
    doing the changes itself, thus no need to reload the project (and no
    need to adopt the new XCode file format introduced in 2.2 in the
    xcodeindex ant task).

    Timo