Re: Command line build

From: Pierre.Bernar..cl.lu
Date: Thu Sep 08 2005 - 09:08:16 EDT

    Hi!

    I am doing command line building on the server. For this I wrote a set of
    ant tasks and scripts to check projects out of CVS, compile the code, run
    WOProject and do a split install.

    The code for this is up on my web page: http://homepage.mac.com/i_love_my

    On the client, Java compilation is performed by Eclipse. The WOLips Ant
    scripts only kick in later. On the server you need to first compile the
    Java files before calling upon WOProject.

    The caveat: This is for Eclipse 2 and a matching WOLips version. For
    compiling, I parse the Eclipse .classpath files. WOLips has since added
    the ant.classpaths.* and ant.frameworks.* files which would surely be a
    better place to start from. WOLips has added the classpath framework
    container which is not supported by my code. I believe though that WOLips
    has added a WOCompile task which should come in handy.

    Within the next few months we will move to Eclipse 3 with a current
    version of WOLips. I'll then have to update my scripts. Moreover we might
    move to Perforce or Subversion which means even more changes. Not going to
    happen real soon. Should you want to get started, I would appreciate if
    you could give back / publish the fruits of your labor.

    Pierre

    "Schoenenberger Dominique" <dominique.schoenenberge..agra.com> wrote on
    09/08/2005 02:33:43 PM:

    > Hi,
    > We're using Eclipse 3.0.1/WOLips 1.1.0.102 on W2K. We're looking for
    > a way to automate build of our apps; we have multiple apps,
    > depending on multiple frameworks (Wonder's and ours).
    > We've read some messages on this list about how to do it, but none
    > showed us a clean and easy way to do it, because none of these
    > methods re-use information set in Eclipse/WOLips; everytime you need
    > to copy information from Eclipse/WOLips into new build.xml files
    > (framework dependencies, paths, options, etc.); the .classpath, .
    > project and woproject/* files are not used, AFAIK, in these build
    methods.
    > We tried to invoke ant this way:
    > ant -Declipse.home=d:/eclipse -Declipse.running=false -Dframeworks.
    > dest.dir=${localFrameworkDir} -lib ${WOPROJECT_ANT_LIB_PATH}
    > but noticed that no class is recompiled, i.e. all classes need to
    > have been compiled earlier within Eclipse and put into the bin
    > directory of the project folder. Javac is never invoked.
    > I found a WOCompile task in WOProject, but which parameters do I
    > need to pass? I don't want to have to type the framework names, as I
    > already defined the framework dependencies in Eclipse, nor do I want
    > to have to type the source files to compile, etc. All the pattern
    > sets files should be reused.
    > For example, if we use PB, we would simply write:
    > cd myFramework
    > make clean
    > make install
    > cd myApp
    > make clean
    > make install
    > I wouldn't have to pass any additional parameter to make, nor would
    > I need to write any additional make rules to be able to compile from
    > the command-line. Now, how can I do the same using ant?
    > Thanks for your enlightments.
    > P.-S.
    > When will there be a new WOLips release?

    This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for
    the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
    If you have received this email in error please notify the sender
    of this message. (Pierre.Bernar..cl.lu)
    This email message has been checked for the presence of computer
    viruses; however this protection does not ensure this message is
    virus free.
    Banque centrale du Luxembourg; Tel ++352-4774-1; http://www.bcl.lu