Re: Command line build

From: Chuck Hill (chil..lobal-village.net)
Date: Mon Sep 12 2005 - 13:40:13 EDT

    Hi,

    On Sep 8, 2005, at 5:33 AM, Schoenenberger Dominique wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > We're using Eclipse 3.0.1/WOLips 1.1.0.102 on W2K. We're looking
    > for a way to automate build of our apps; we have multiple apps,
    > depending on multiple frameworks (Wonder's and ours).
    >
    > We've read some messages on this list about how to do it, but none
    > showed us a clean and easy way to do it, because none of these
    > methods re-use information set in Eclipse/WOLips; everytime you
    > need to copy information from Eclipse/WOLips into new build.xml
    > files (framework dependencies, paths, options, etc.);
    > the .classpath, .project and woproject/* files are not used, AFAIK,
    > in these build methods.

    I don't have time to document and explain this, but take at look at
    the build.xml files in the _Code_ versions of the packages here:
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=138889

    Look for the compile target. It is not perfect, but it reuses much
    of what is in the Eclipse/WOLips project configuration files.

    > We tried to invoke ant this way:
    >
    > ant -Declipse.home=d:/eclipse -Declipse.running=false -
    > Dframeworks.dest.dir=${localFrameworkDir} -lib $
    > {WOPROJECT_ANT_LIB_PATH}
    >
    > but noticed that no class is recompiled, i.e. all classes need to
    > have been compiled earlier within Eclipse and put into the bin
    > directory of the project folder. Javac is never invoked.
    >
    > I found a WOCompile task in WOProject, but which parameters do I
    > need to pass? I don't want to have to type the framework names, as
    > I already defined the framework dependencies in Eclipse, nor do I
    > want to have to type the source files to compile, etc. All the
    > pattern sets files should be reused.
    >
    > For example, if we use PB, we would simply write:
    > cd myFramework
    > make clean
    > make install
    > cd myApp
    > make clean
    > make install

    That is what the above build.xml will let you do. There is also a
    higher level build.xml file that builds all the frameworks and
    application for an installation so that to do the above you only need
    to type

    ant deploy

    > I wouldn't have to pass any additional parameter to make, nor would
    > I need to write any additional make rules to be able to compile
    > from the command-line. Now, how can I do the same using ant?
    >
    > Thanks for your enlightments.
    Hope that helps.
    Chuck

    --
    Practical WebObjects - a book for intermediate WebObjects developers
    who want to increase their overall knowledge of WebObjects, or those