wod editor changes

From: Mike Schrag (mschra..dimension.com)
Date: Sun Oct 09 2005 - 10:10:01 EDT

    I'm curious to hear some feedback on the new changes for wod editor:

    1) I added support for bindings for api files that define types (like
    number format, date format) like WOBuilder has -- It will offer "%m/%
    d/%Y", etc for date types. The issue w/ this is that you take a
    performance hit to lookup the API file for the current type. So
    feedback #1 is whether you feel like the performance on binding value
    completion is too slow now? Note that there is only a performance
    difference prior to the first '.', since static bindings would never
    be offered as a second, third, etc key path segment. So if you
    would, do some binding value completions before the update so you get
    a feel for how fast it is now, then update and see if it's annoying.

    2) To try to speed things up, I am now caching API files. The
    downside of this is that I'm not currently watching for api file
    CHANGES. The cache is per-editor, so when you open a new Component
    Editor, you'll get a new cache for that file. So feedback #2 is
    whether you notice cache freshness issues with binding NAME
    completion from API files.

    3) I no longer show protected or private fields during binding
    completion. I think this is more correct and cleans up the list a
    lot. I also no longer show completions starting with an underscore
    unless you actually TYPE a leading underscore. It appears that every
    binding with a leading _ generally doesn't want to be shown by
    default. If this is NOT true, let me know and I can turn this back
    off. It seems to make the list better.

    4) Lastly, for binding value key path completion, if the type of a
    keypath segment is WOApplication, WOSession, or WODirectAction,
    instead of showing methods for the supertype hierarchy, I show
    methods from the ENTIRE type hierarchy (including subtype hierarchy)
    for that class in the current project. This allows me to show
    bindings for your Application and Session SUBCLASS rather than just
    WOSession and WOApplication's bindings. Let me know if this presents
    a problem as it's definitely a bit of a guessing game to figure out.

    ms