Re: WO 5.3.1 licensing

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Wed Nov 16 2005 - 08:49:29 EST

    If this bothers you, buy a Mac Mini, install WO and expose the jars
    via Samba to your Windows machine :-)

    But I agree - it is ridiculous that programmers have to go into such
    trouble to interpret the stupid license.

    "EOF references" in source code are definitely not controlled by the
    Apple license (c'mon - do you seriously think that the day you
    learned about NSArray, you soul belongs to Steve Jobs). Whether
    *compiling* against WO jars is allowed under deployment license
    (using javac and Eclipse) - that's not 100% clear, but I'd say it is.

    Say I write a super dynamic WO application where a user enters WO
    template code in runtime, typing it in a web form for later rendering
    as a WO component... Or another WO app with some embedded scripting
    language with expressions compiled in runtime against WO jars. With
    modern Java, compilation is a de-facto part of deployment (IIRC in
    Java 1.6 there will be public compiler API available in runtime).

    Andrus