Re: mysql connector problem again (build path problem)

From: logan.allre..onvergys.com
Date: Wed Dec 07 2005 - 16:55:30 EST

    Jean Pierre Malrieu <jp.malrie..ree.fr> wrote on 12/07/2005 02:06:51 PM:

    > I am back with a problem I submitted a while ago to the list.
    >
    > I have moved to MySQL 5.0.
    > My existing Eclipse/WOlips projects use mysql-java-connector version
    > 3.0.6, which does not work with MySQL 5.0.
    > My problem is that I cannot replace this connector with another, more
    > recent version of the connector, because my frameworks include it
    > within the "JRE system Library [JVM 1.4.2 (MacOS X Default)]".
    > And there seems to be no way to remove the old connector from this
    > JRE system library. If I right->click "Configure" on this library, I
    > get a build path window, but I cannot remove the old connector. When
    > the old connector is selected, the "remove" button is greyed out.
    >
    > I cannot remove the old connector jar from /Library/java/extensions,
    > because then my projects won't build.
    > I cannot leave it there, because it gets used, and it is incompatible
    > with MySQL 5.0.
    > I am stuck.
    >
    > I have tried removing and adding again the whole JRE library. The old
    > connector (suppressed from file system) disappears from the package
    > explorer, but is still in the build path.

    I'm not an expert in this, but it looks like you have several options.

    With the old connector jar in /Library/Java/Extensions, it's going to
    always cause you problems when you try and connect to the newer version.
    If all of your projects are moving to MySQL 5, then I would replace this
    jar with the newer connector jar, and that should do it for now.

    If you have a mix of MySQL 5 and older MySQL and the new connector won't
    work with the old MySQL, then you either have to remove the old connector
    jar from /Library/Java/Extensions, and then add it explicitly to the build
    path of every framework/application you have, adding the appropriate new
    one or old one as is needed.

    The other option is to leave the old connector jar, and add the new
    connector jar to your project but make sure it loads before the old one.
    You control this in the Order and Export tab of the Java Build Path
    section of the project properties. Move the new connector jar up until
    it's above the JRE listing, then it will load the new connector jar before
    the old one. This isn't the cleanest solution, but will get you working
    again.

    Good luck,
    Logan