Re: mysql connector problem again (build path problem)

From: Jean Pierre Malrieu (jp.malrie..ree.fr)
Date: Wed Dec 07 2005 - 17:32:14 EST

    Le 7 déc. 05 à 22:55, logan.allre..onvergys.com a écrit :

    > Jean Pierre Malrieu <jp.malrie..ree.fr> wrote on 12/07/2005
    > 02:06:51 PM:
    >
    > > I am back with a problem I submitted a while ago to the list.
    > >
    > > I have moved to MySQL 5.0.
    > > My existing Eclipse/WOlips projects use mysql-java-connector version
    > > 3.0.6, which does not work with MySQL 5.0.
    > > My problem is that I cannot replace this connector with another,
    > more
    > > recent version of the connector, because my frameworks include it
    > > within the "JRE system Library [JVM 1.4.2 (MacOS X Default)]".
    > > And there seems to be no way to remove the old connector from this
    > > JRE system library. If I right->click "Configure" on this library, I
    > > get a build path window, but I cannot remove the old connector. When
    > > the old connector is selected, the "remove" button is greyed out.
    > >
    > > I cannot remove the old connector jar from /Library/java/extensions,
    > > because then my projects won't build.
    > > I cannot leave it there, because it gets used, and it is
    > incompatible
    > > with MySQL 5.0.
    > > I am stuck.
    > >
    > > I have tried removing and adding again the whole JRE library. The
    > old
    > > connector (suppressed from file system) disappears from the package
    > > explorer, but is still in the build path.
    >
    > I'm not an expert in this, but it looks like you have several options.
    >
    > With the old connector jar in /Library/Java/Extensions, it's going
    > to always cause you problems when you try and connect to the newer
    > version. If all of your projects are moving to MySQL 5, then I
    > would replace this jar with the newer connector jar, and that
    > should do it for now.

    Yes but I can't build my projects with Eclipse, because it wants the
    old connector!

    > If you have a mix of MySQL 5 and older MySQL and the new connector
    > won't work with the old MySQL, then you either have to remove the
    > old connector jar from /Library/Java/Extensions, and then add it
    > explicitly to the build path of every framework/application you
    > have, adding the appropriate new one or old one as is needed.

    No. I want to move everything to MySQL 5.

    > The other option is to leave the old connector jar, and add the new
    > connector jar to your project but make sure it loads before the old
    > one. You control this in the Order and Export tab of the Java Build
    > Path section of the project properties. Move the new connector jar
    > up until it's above the JRE listing, then it will load the new
    > connector jar before the old one. This isn't the cleanest solution,
    > but will get you working again.

    Good idea! I will try that.
    But don't you think this JRE Library should be modifiable? And where
    does it come from? Is it a WOLips stuff? Apple stuff? Myself stuff?

    Thanks.

    JPM