Re: WOLips newbie..

From: logan.allre..onvergys.com
Date: Fri Dec 16 2005 - 17:21:25 EST

    "Virat Chopra" <vchopra@cssg.com> wrote on 12/16/2005 01:20:35 PM:

    > Would appreciate is someone could provide tips, tutorial to
    > import/add an existing large WO 5.2.4 Project created using Project
    > Builder on Windows to WOLips.
    >
    > I have Eclipse 3.1.1 + WOLips 1.1.0.102 setup but can’t find a fast
    > way to import the project.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Sincerely,
    > Virat Chopra

    We converted a decent-sized app from PB to WOLips on Windows back (IIRC)
    at Eclipse 2.1 and WOLips ?.0.71 or something. Over a year ago.

    We had 2-3 apps that use about 13 shared frameworks between them, several
    with subprojects. There was no easy point and click way to just import
    them into WOLips. I spent the better part of a day manually creating
    projects for all of them and getting their project properties set up, but
    since then, I've not had to do much at all. The only issue we still deal
    with is that one of the frameworks is written by another group (that
    doesn't use WOLips), and they didn't put their code in the appropriate
    folder/package structure. So the classes have packages, but the .java
    files themselves are just in the subproject root. ProjectBuilder would
    take care of this for you during a build, but Eclipse/WOLips is definitely
    unhappy about this, so when we update sources for this project we have to
    manually move all the files into their correct folder structures (we use
    Eclipse quick fix to do this mostly, so not horrible). Fortunately we
    rarely have to update this project.

    Our procedure went like this:
    1. Create the appropriate project (Application or Framework) in WOLips,
    and place it in a location different from the original project (we just
    put it in our new workspace). Also create Subprojects you'll need. So now
    there are empty projects in Eclipse/WOLips.
    2. Drag the relevant files from Windows explorer into the Eclipse
    navigator view. For example, we dragged all of the .java files from the
    old project into the src folder in Eclipse. We did the same with all of
    the Components and other web resources. By dragging from Windows explorer
    into Eclipse, it copied them into the right places and gave the WOLips
    plugin a chance to notice the new files and appropriately mark them for
    the Eclipse build.
    3. Close and reopen the project in Eclipse. This seems to refresh the
    project enough for WOLips to be happy with the new changes.
    4. Modify the project properties of the new projects to point to relevant
    frameworks or projects, 3rd party jars, and to handle making sure all of
    the subproject source files and resources are referenceable from the main
    project in the Java Build Path settings.

    I may have forgotten a step or two since it's been a year or two. It seems
    there might be something funky with adding an EOModel or something, but I
    don't remember any more. If you run into problems, let us know and we can
    help figure them out. I don't recall it being very daunting, just a bit
    tedious. Fortunately for us it was a one-time thing.

    Logan