Re: New year wish: please make a stable branch

From: mar..iffy-berlin.in-berlin.de
Date: Fri Jan 06 2006 - 05:34:06 EST

    Hi,

    On Jan 5, 2006, at 4:25 PM, Anjo Krank wrote:
    > while I would be the first one to welcome a stable release without
    > a ton of beta dependencies, I'd guess that this won't happen. It's
    > just too much work to downgrade the new features to 3.1 and with a
    > few of them, this is not even possible.
    > So the best bet is to wait out for 3.2 final and WTP final and then
    > try to make a stable version.

    Yes, that would be nice. I just fear that this might not be done. At
    least now we are in the same situation as half a year ago with 3.1.1.
    At the point, Eclipse 3.1.0 was out, and 3.1.1 was still in beta. The
    same day 3.1.1 was finally released, I installed the latest WOLips
    and all its dependencies (which was 2.0.68 at the time I think). And
    I hoped for a stable release of WOLips.

    And now we have lots of dependencies on 3.2beta, and a patched
    plugin. And the hope, that once 3.2 is finally out and the wtp team
    has incorporated our patches, that a stable version of WOLips will
    finally be made? Maybe at that time everything depends on 3.3beta of
    Eclipse? :)

    > Unless there is someone who volunteers to do all the backporting
    > work...

    Well, there is no backporting required really. Just take the latest
    release of WOLips which did not require 3.2M4 and no patched plugins,
    make a branch on that and declare it stable. That can then be
    published on the website, and if any major bugs pop up, they can be
    fixed in the branch.

    On 5. Jan 2006, at 23:27 Uhr, Marc Respass wrote:
    > I would vote for a simple official release more than final versions
    > of all dependancies. Just make 2.0.0.86 an official release. I've
    > been using it for while now with no problems. When I go to
    > http://www.objectstyle.org/woproject
    > I want to see version 2.0 and be able to download it without any
    > trouble. Right now, it's difficult to find WOLips 2 and get it
    > installed but it works great.
    >
    > Marc

    I second that! 2.0.86 works fine for me with Eclipse 3.1.1 and MacOSX
    10.4.3/WebObjects 5.3 resp. MacOSX 10.3.9/WebObjects 5.2.3.

    Marc
    PS: At the very least, please make a link from the homepage to the wiki.