Re: WO + Apple Search Kit

From: Jake MacMullin (jake.macmulli..siro.au)
Date: Tue Apr 25 2006 - 19:11:26 EDT

    You may get more responses asking this on Apple's WebObjects
    Development mailing list.

    There are a *bunch* of ways of calling external code from a Java
    WebObjects application:

    Web Services
    you could write an Objective-C application that uses the Search kit
    API to search what ever it is you want to search for and expose a web
    services interface to your Objective-C application

    Java Native Interface (JNI)
    The Java Native Interface can be used to call 'non-java' native code

    Java's Runtime.Exec method
    This method can be used to call an external process

    The Java Bridge as you've suggested.

    However, you might want to look at Lucene. It is a Java library for
    indexing and searching and I've found it pretty straight-forward to
    integrate it with WebObjects. As it is Java it has the added benefit
    that your WebObjects application will still run on non-Apple
    operating systems.

    Cheers,

    Jake