Re: Component editor not inserting }

From: logan.allre..onvergys.com
Date: Tue May 23 2006 - 10:45:12 EDT

    Sébastien Sahuc <lis..ahuc.net> wrote on 05/23/2006 08:04:50 AM:

    > This is a known limitation from the Java Editor within the
    > WOComponentEditor. Its feature set will never match the built-in Java
    > editor from Eclipse. Whenever I need to seriously edit Java file, I
    > usually 'right-click --> open with... -> Java Editor (vs.
    > WOComponentEditor) .

    I've been curious about this a long time. Is there no way to just
    "subclass" the Eclipse Java Editor and override a few things to add
    whatever special behavior WOLips needs? From the sounds of it, it seems
    like WOLips is using a whole brand new editor from scratch, and just
    copies most of the Java editor features over to it that can be figured
    out?

    While I wouldn't be surprised that you have to do the latter, I would have
    hoped that since Eclipse was supposed to be designed to be extensible, you
    could just extend their Java editor. I know next to nothing about the
    Eclipse internal structure and design, but I would find it disappointing
    if you are doing the editor from scratch. It definitely sounds like a
    losing battle to me.

    And the follow-up question: I always change the default Java editor back
    to the normal one, because I go crazy without all the nice Java features I
    use in all my other projects. What am I missing out by not using the Java
    portion of the component editor? I haven't really started using the
    component editor much, because I don't edit components much right now, and
    I've always ran into problems in the past. I'm looking forward to the
    HTML/WOD integration once it gets more stable, so I'd like to know what
    other advantages I might be missing out on.

    thanks,
    Logan