Re: EOModeler Feature Request

From: Brendan Duddridge (brenda..lickspace.com)
Date: Wed Jul 19 2006 - 10:42:07 EDT

    This entire discussion is a great example of why all of WebObjects
    should be open sourced. Just imagine how advanced WebObjects could
    be. Look at how much activity there is in the open source Ruby on
    Rails project. It's amazing.

    We currently use the userInfo to store keys and values to support the
    automatic generation of indexes (regular and compound) using the
    PostgreSQL plug-in from Wonder. I guess whatever SQL generation
    method is designed will have to take your index keys into
    consideration and also be aware of each database's unique way of
    generating indexes. I don't know if all databases use the same index
    generation syntax, but maybe that's still something that needs to be
    left up to a database specific plug-in of sorts. Or perhaps there
    could be some sort of template mechanism built in to the new modeler
    that can do substitution. E.g. "create index $indexName on $tableName
    ($columnName1, $columnName2, $...);" All the parts with the $ can be
    substituted at SQL generation time but all the static parts could be
    customized to each database's specific requirements. But alas perhaps
    this isn't necessary. Just an idea.

    Keep up the good work Mike. See you at WWDC.

    Brendan Duddridge | CTO | 403-277-5591 x24 | brenda..lickspace.com

    ClickSpace Interactive Inc.
    Suite L100, 239 - 10th Ave. SE
    Calgary, AB T2G 0V9

    http://www.clickspace.com