Re: [WOLips] RelatedView showing only file extensions

From: Mike Schrag (mschra..dimension.com)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2006 - 12:45:05 EDT

    ... and forwarded onto the list ... discussion at hand = the change i
    made to related view to only show the extensions of related files
    rather than the full filename. "EOMODELD" is clearly broken (I think
    it should use the label decorator that Entity Modeler uses, so it
    would say "MyModel EOModel"), but I'm not totally convinced yet that
    the others should change. What do other people think? If you're
    editing MyComponent.java, right now it just says "WO","WOD","API",
    etc -- would you prefer "MyComponent.wo", "MyComponent.wod", etc
    instead?

    ms

    On Jul 24, 2006, at 12:30 PM, Marc Guenther wrote:

    > Hi Mike,
    >
    > On 24. Jul. 2006, at 17:31, Mike Schrag wrote:
    >> Part of it was because the old way was just doing a toString on an
    >> IResource, so it gave the internal string version of the related
    >> file.
    >
    > Ah, thats why the [ have been in there. I'm using getName() now,
    > which looks nice.
    Yeah, that would be the most obvious thing to switch over to if we go
    back to full names.

    >> The other reason was that the name isn't really adding any
    >> information (it seemed to me) since if you're in MyComponent.java,
    >> to say MyComponent.api vs "API" didn't seem to really add anything.
    >
    > Yea, thats true for components, but not for EO java sources for
    > example. When I'm in a Java file, I would like to see the name of
    > the eomodeld to which it belongs.
    Does it actually do this now? Maybe it looks for .plist files inside
    of an .eomodeld that match the class name of the file you're
    editing? I don't remember seeing that, but it's entirely possible it
    does. If it doesn't we could MAKE it do that :)

    >> Uppercasing ALL extensions, though, is a bug (for instance, it
    >> should not be uppercasing EOMODELD, which I noticed it is doing).
    >> Basically cutting out the name allows you to potentially put the
    >> same info in a much smaller space.
    >
    > Agreed. When the component names are long, it can be annoying if
    > all you see is the beginning of the same filename, and you don't
    > see the extension. Hmmm... I don't know. For me the capitalized
    > extensions always looked like a bug, I didn't even think of it as a
    > feature :)
    Well, in a "pretty view" of those extensions, they're all technically
    acronyms and should be capitalized (except for eomodeld, which is
    broken), but we have bigger problems to worry about if people prefer
    lowercase :)

    >> This WAS, though, a bit of a word-of-god decision on my part to
    >> make the change :), so I'm open to discussing it. Are there cases
    >> where there are DIFFERENT filenames in that list ever?
    > Well, in the case of the Main.wo component, yes. We have several
    > applications, all of which define a Main component. When a
    > Main.java is selected, several of the .wo and .api and ... are
    > displayed (although not all of them, another bug?). Now that I
    > think of it, displaying just the filename would help here, either,
    > as that's the same, only the projects differ.
    TECHNICALLY it should resolve to the one that WO runtime would find
    (so it should follow WO rules). You really shouldn't see multiple
    ones (though that might be really tricky to get right). I have no
    idea what it is returning now, though (or the rules by which it gets
    them). I would assume it's using the Locate API.

    > Another idea. I would much prefer to always show all files, even
    > the one that is currently selected. So I then would know that the
    > first one is always the java file, the second one is the html,
    > etc.. At the moment the currently selected file is removed from the
    > list, making the list elements jumping around when I select
    > different kinds of files.
    I agree it should show the current file as well ... It's really
    obnoxious that the list switches around as you change among WO/WOD/
    Java/etc -- I would personally prefer it to be stable.

    > Should we forward this to the list for discussion?
    consider it done :)