Entity Modeler

From: Mike Schrag (mschra..dimension.com)
Date: Sat Jul 29 2006 - 18:23:18 EDT

    Phew ... Entity Modeler should now finally be able to read, write,
    and allow you to edit all aspects of an EOModel -- entities,
    attributes, relationships, joins, fetch specifications, stored
    procedures and arguments, prototypes, inheritance, etc. Obviously
    it's still to be considered beta quality, but if you would, please
    bring in your most complex models and see what it does with them and
    let me know if there's something acting funky. In particular, I
    don't personally used stored procs at all, so I don't have any good
    test cases (other than some contrived ones) to verify that it is
    behaving properly. A little bird also donated the list of legacy
    eomodel file format keys, so we should be able to load old versions
    of EOModel files as well. If you load an old model and write it back
    out, though, it will force an upgrade to the new key names.

    One mildly obnoxious issue at the moment is related to JFace Data
    Binding. If you are editing a text field in the property panel, the
    values are only propagated when the text field loses focus. As a
    result, if you save via the shortcut key while in a text field that
    you were editing, the new value has now been committed back to the
    model and your model will be saved without that change. When you tab
    out, it will mark your model dirty, so you don't totally lose the
    value, but it is counterintuitive (at least to me). What would be
    ideal is that a save forces a focus change causing the value to
    commit, but I could not for the life of me get it to work.
    Alternatively we can switch to live updating with data binding, but
    this presents some potential performance issues because you would be
    firing events all over the place a lot (especially for things like
    changing entity names, where it has to unique and might cause some
    weirdness if it's publishing partial updates). Keep an eye out for
    it and let me know if anyone has any ideas.

    Things Left To Do:
    1) SQL Gen -- I'm going to look into this tonight or tomorrow and see
    if we can apply the tricks that JUnit plugin uses
    2) Diagram View -- Eclipse GEF plugins are the obvious solution for
    this one. I haven't used those API's before, though, so if anyone
    else has and is interested in creating this view, that would be great.
    3) Create Many-to-Many -- I just haven't made that menu item ...
    Should be pretty simple, but this is just a convenience anyway.

    ms