Re: sql gen is in

From: Guido Neitzer (guido.neitze..harmaline.de)
Date: Sun Jul 30 2006 - 12:05:12 EDT

    On 30.07.2006, at 15:14 Uhr, Anjo Krank wrote:

    > This setup is hardly legal for single-table inheritance. Either
    > your table has a non-null or it doesn't. If you want it your way,
    > factor out the fields into some extra table, mark them as "allows
    > null" or fix up the sql yourself.

    Why shouldn't this be legal? I'm modeling entities, not tables. And
    an entity might have a non null attribute even when the parent entity
    doesn't know anything about this attribute.

    Yes, from the database point, it's not legal - but again, I'm doing
    entity modeling here, with the additional benefit of having the sql
    generated for me by the application. That's all.

    There are a lot of other informations in the model (the entities) not
    propagated to the database like delete rules and foreign key
    constrains through multiple models (the last thing is obvious because
    the other model may point to a different database).

    So, from my point of view, the model I create with EOModeler is NOT
    the database model. It is instead the entity/object model with some
    information to its mapping on the database. And from that point, I
    can't be legal to have information in the model that doesn't make it
    to the database. EOModeler and EOF itself seems to support the same
    view, as all these things just work (inheritance, foreign key
    constraints, delete rules) - without involving the database. There
    are only bugs in creating the SQL for the involved database. That's all.

    cug