Re: Some Entity Modeler questions

From: Mike Schrag (mschra..dimension.com)
Date: Wed Aug 30 2006 - 20:18:56 EDT

    > I sent it, but I also discovered that after closing Eclipse for the
    > first time since creating the model and re-running it, the problem
    > went away. So maybe it has something to do with the model being
    > newly created.
    hmm. if you can get a reproducible case, let me know ...

    >> Ugh. So this field is crazy-proprietary-NSTimeZone-format
    >> ("America/New_York"). It SORT OF looks like java.util.TimeZone
    >> format, but they're not 1:1, I don't think. I dropped this field
    >> in at the last minute just to get full coverage of the file
    >> format. I suspect if you leave it blank, it will be "local
    >> timezone", but I'm going to be turning this into a pulldown.
    >> Unfortunately the pulldown has like 600 entries in it.
    >
    > Oy. On the plus side, though, this format probably lets me not
    > have to choose between PST and PDT. I just have to figure out
    > which city it uses for Pacific time. Which brings me to another
    > question - how do I access docs (say, to look up NSTimeZone) from
    > Eclipse? I don't see anything in the menus or the toolbar for this.
    The new version (that should build tonight) has a pulldown menu for
    this value (all 600 or so of them -- good times).

    As far as accessing docs, I never do it except from code view, you
    can hover over a class name and it will pop up a little javadoc
    window, or I think you can hit F2 to go to javadoc. Right-
    Click=>Open Declaration will take you to the source if you have that
    configured. There's probably a direct way to search javadoc, but I
    just don't use it like that.

    >>> - when creating a to-one relationship, what is the Definition
    >>> field for? And how do you enter the Source and Destination
    >>> attributes? There doesn't seem to be any way to edit those
    >>> fields in the Properties pane for the relationship.
    >> Definitions are used for flattened relationships, so I THINK it
    >> should be grayed out when you're editing a normal to-one? If you
    >> were to flatten a relationship you would find that definition is
    >> the keypath of the flattened relationship relative to the entity
    >> the relationship is stored in.
    >
    > Nope, it's not greyed out, and I definitely have it marked as To One.
    Odd.

    >> You add joins by selecting the destination entity, clicking the
    >> "Add" button at the bottom, and then the attribute names are
    >> editable in the table via a pulldown (if you click the "select
    >> attribute" columns, you will get a pulldown editor). This UI was
    >> an attempt to compress EOModeler's version of this same UI. I'm
    >> open for suggestions is this is confusing.
    >
    > I think it would be clearer if the words "Select Attribute"
    > contained the down triangle, so there was a visual clue to click
    > there. As it is you click, then it goes blank with the triangle,
    > you click the triangle and then the list appears. If you could
    > compress that, so the triangle was there right after clicking the
    > Add button and then the drop-down list appeared on the first click
    > that would help, I think.
    >
    > I am not totally clear about the direction of the relationship. If
    > I have these two entities:
    >
    > EntityA EntityB
    > eoid eoid
    > b_eoid stuff2
    > stuff1
    >
    > and I want to join them so that entitya.b_eoid = entityb.eoid,
    > which is the source and which is the destination?
    I thought it was labeled "Source" and "Destination" in the table
    headers above those. As far as the black triangle ... Talk to the
    boys at eclipse.org. That stupid ass combo-box-in-table-view
    component (CCombo) is an emulated component, not native. If you look
    at a NATIVE comobox-in-a-table it has the black arrows in the non-
    editable-view as well. I harped on them about this at WWDC, and I
    may end up taking ownership of that control on OS X so we can make it
    not suck in general.

    ms