Re: Can't open EOModeler (WOLIps version)

From: Markus Ruggiero (marku..uggiero.ch)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2006 - 09:43:21 EDT

    On 01.09.2006, at 15:10, Ken Anderson wrote:

    > I couldn't disagree with you more. WOBuilder might be a good entry
    > level tool, but it is hardly used by seasoned WO users. It doesn't
    > support a lot of what you need for good presentation on the web today.

    Sorry but I do disagree :)

    I use WOBuilder heavily when throwing together a component. Only for
    fine tuning I switch to source mode. The visual layout (however bad
    it may be) is a great thing to have and connecting bindings visually
    with drag and drop is what I do for 95 per cent of all bindings.

    So even if WOBuilder is a very buggy and lacking tool for me it is a
    great time saver because it supports my style of working. And it is
    by no means an entry level tool. I have been doing WO development for
    the last 5 years and I teach WO programming courses and so I probably
    qualify as 'seasoned'.

    It would be great if the new tools supported both styles of working:
    text input oriented as well as a visual/graphical style.

    > More importantly, it's the architecture and EOF that sets the
    > framework apart from others... FAR apart.

    Here I am fully with you.

    Have fun
    ---markus---

    > Ken
    >
    > On Sep 1, 2006, at 9:01 AM, Anders Peterson wrote:
    >
    >> If WO looses WOBuilder because Apple doesn't use/need it
    >> themselves and there is no (WOLips) replacement then WO looses
    >> what sets it apart from all the other web application frameworks.
    >> Lets face it: Some of the other frameworks are (also) great. What
    >> they don't have is a collection of supporting tools. I think
    >> WOBuilder is the most important tool, and it is the one thing
    >> missing from WOLips.
    >>
    >> Have look at this thread:
    >>
    >> http://www.nabble.com/WebObjects-open-source--tf2177391.html
    >>
    >> I'd say they're jealous of the WO-tools.
    >>
    >> /Anders
    >>
    >> Mike Schrag wrote:
    >>> There is no direct replacement right now, and I suspect that iTMS
    >>> people don't use it, so there's probably not a big push from that
    >>> group to create a replacement. For now, I would carry on using
    >>> WOBuilder if you like it -- it's not going anywhere for a while.
    >>> As far as mid-to-long term, we have been discussing some
    >>> possibilities here (at mDimension), but I don't know what, if
    >>> anything, will come of it at the moment.
    >>> ms

    Don't miss my latest project at http://blindpromo.com

    Markus Ruggiero
    rucotec consulting and technologies email
    mailto:markus.ruggier..ucotec.ch
    rucotec GmbH web http://www.rucotec.ch
    Steinentorstrasse 8
    4051 Basel Mobile +41 (0)79 508 4701
    Switzerland Phone/Fax +41 (0)61 271 4990