Re: Can't open EOModeler (WOLIps version)

From: David LeBer (dlebe..odeferous.com)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2006 - 10:23:51 EDT

    On 1-Sep-06, at 9:49 AM, David Avendasora wrote:

    > On Sep 1, 2006, at 9:10 AM, Ken Anderson wrote:
    >
    >> WOBuilder might be a good entry level tool, but it is hardly used
    >> by seasoned WO users.
    >
    > So, how exactly do you become a seasoned user?
    >
    > How many people will stick around long enough to realize the power
    > of the architecture if before they can make their first page they
    > have to learn the .wo structure? What if there were no Entity
    > Modeler? Would you expect people learn how to create .eomodel
    > packages manually?

    Huh? EOModeler still (limpingly) works. But more importantly, I think
    you could argue that Apple felt free to deprecated the existing tool
    stack *because* Entity Modeler exists. No one has ever seriously
    suggested people create .eomodels manually.

    > Still, this is all academic as WOBuilder is still fully (dis)
    > functional. :)

    Yes it is, and it is important to understand that Entity Modeler is
    very young (I first heard about it early July). Component Editor is a
    good start, and I think it is realistic to expect that if there is a
    demand, we could see a decent WYSIWYGish third party replacement for
    WOBuilder before it finally dies. The existing WOLips team members
    may not be the ones who do this - if it is not something they find
    valuable, why would they - but that doesn't mean that someone else
    who feels strongly about it will not step in to fill the void.

    Apple has stated their intentions. The existing tools are (slowly)
    going away. Apple has also stated they expect the community to fill
    the gaps left by their departure. So, it is up to us to decide what
    those tools should be.

    --
    ;david

    -- David LeBer Codeferous Software 'co-def-er-ous' adj. Literally 'code-bearing' site: http://www.codeferous.com blog: http://david.codeferous.com -- Toronto Area Cocoa / WebObjects developers group: http://www.tacow.org