Re: WOBuilder section in WOLips

From: Marc Oesch (marc.oesc..mail.com)
Date: Fri Sep 08 2006 - 12:02:41 EDT

    Hello,

    > I haven't seen the discussion on WODev yet, but I'd like to add
    > something that I didn't see on the WOBuilder Ideas page.

    Thanks, I added your ideas.

    http://www.objectstyle.org/confluence/display/WOL/WO+Builder+Ideas

    It's a Wiki so anyone can create an account and add content. (Maybe
    it's better to move a feature system like JIRA once the actual work
    starts and the features are clearly defined ?)

    I guess two things would need to be defined.

    - Volunteers show up or a fundraiser could match the wishlist and
    people interested. I'm all for doing it without money involved, but I
    have doubts it will happen for WO Builder after reading the comments
    and the fact there was no prior attempt.
    As an idea, a fundraiser could get things moving toward a first
    version or at least a prototype. Compared to what WO used to cost ( $
    699 ?) or what a copy of Visual Studio sells for I came up with these
    figures on the Apple list :

    Large Company (say, 10+ developers): $ 500
    Small Company: $ 250
    Individuals : $ 100
    Students: $ 50

    Too high, too low ? The amounts could go directly to the developer(s)
    eg. using PayPal to keep things simple.

    Maybe someone has time between two projects to work on this or a few
    weeks or month and would be willing to work at a low monthly rate to
    cover costs.

    - It would be helpful if Apple would say when their developer tool
    info is made public, ie. before or only after Leopard ships ? I just
    asked about this on the WO list.

    I won't have much time in the coming weeks, so I just wanted to get
    these ideas out as a basis for discussion :)

    Marc