random tidbits

From: Mike Schrag (mschra..dimension.com)
Date: Wed Sep 13 2006 - 23:06:13 EDT

    In case people didn't know, there is a relationship wizard in Entity
    Modeler ... If you select two entities and click the "New
    Relationship" button, it will give you a wizard vs the non-wizard
    approach if you just click "New Relationship" with a single entity
    selected. The latest commits add some improvements to many-to-many
    support (optionally DO NOT flatten, and allows you to set the name of
    the join entity). It doesn't support cross-model relationships at
    the moment mainly because that model of user interaction isn't
    available with two models (i.e. you can't select the entities from
    the other model because it's not visible in the outline ... I'll need
    to redesign that workflow some to support that). So if cross-model
    is something you do commonly, let me know.

    That multiple selection when creating new attributes bug still seems
    to be lurking ... It would appear to be related to hashcode/equals
    on EOAttributes and EORelationships, but I don't yet know what the
    problem is. I'll be on the prowl to get a proper fix for that soon,
    hopefully.

    The "Open Entity Modeler Perspective?" dialog has moved to a new
    Entity Modeler preference panel in Preferences=>WOLips=>Entity
    Modeler. As a real preference, it will now save your choice across
    sessions. If you have this checked, EM will also automatically
    switch you BACK to WOLips perspective when you close the last EM
    editor view (of which there is usually just one), so it doesn't leave
    you hanging in that funky Entity Modeler perspective view with no
    editors open.

    If you use Project Wonder, you should definitely take a look at some
    of the improvements with connection management and prototype loading
    that takes advantage of the EODatabaseConfig stuff inside of Entity
    Modeler. You can define multiple connection dictionaries inside of
    EODatabaseConfigs and then pick the config by name in project wonder
    rather than have to reenter your configuration info. Anjo's done a
    bunch of work with fixing and making more consistent prototype
    behavior across the board, too.

    Random eclipse thing-of-day (can't remember if I sent this one
    before): In Preferences=>Java=>Editor=>Templates, my can't-live-
    without template is named "sop" (in the Java context), and it's
    definition is:
    System.out.println("${enclosing_type}.${enclosing_method}: ${cursor}");

    So in my Java editor, when i want to drop in a quick debugging
    statement, I sop<complete> and it inserts that template with the
    ClassName.methodName: that I'm currently in. Really handy when you
    know you're going to want to remove the debug statement later and you
    don't want to go hunting for some random string that is printing to
    your console. This particular template does, however, reveal a race
    condition in the eclipse template parser that randomly appears where
    it will sometimes put the wrong method name there -- I logged a bug
    about this two years ago. Most of the time, though, it works fine.

    ms