Re: Using ERPrototypes in Entity Modeler

From: Mike Schrag (mschra..dimension.com)
Date: Fri Sep 15 2006 - 15:06:20 EDT

    Database Configs (as you have created with the New Database Config
    icon) are used:

    1) during SQL generation (you will be presented with a pulldown)
    2) at runtime when you use Project Wonder, by specifying
    modelName.DBConfigName=MySqlConfig in your properties

    Currently we still only use the primary Connection Dictionary
    definition to determine the prototypes to pull, and it has to
    actually "guess" . Right now the logic it uses to guess prototypes
    is that it will look for PlugIn name first (if you set it in your
    connection dictionary), and try to load
    EOJDBC<pluginname>Prototypes. Next it will try to parse your JDBC
    connection string and look for EOJDBC<nameofyouradaptor>Prototypes.
    Note that #2 there is case sensitive, so if you use jdbc:mysql vs
    jdbc:Mysql that makes a difference, although setting plugin might be
    the better option for now.

    My proposal going forward, however, is to switch EM to ONLY use
    Database Configs. When a model is loaded in, it will automatically
    create a database config that is your connection dictionary. This
    will allow you to explicitly choose the prototype to use for the
    default config. Additionally, there will be an option to select a
    database config and "make database config active" which will then
    become 1) the connection dictionary that gets written out as the
    default and 2) the one used inside of EM to show you your
    prototypes. This, I believe, really unifies the concepts together
    nicely and essentially makes the "old way" (conn dictionary) just a
    compatibility element rather than a real dependency.

    ms